Need a rental car? Enjoy up to 25% discount savings on rental cars for union members
Union members enjoy up to 25% in savings with rental car discounts from Union Plus and the discount car rental providers: Alamo Rent A Car, Avis Rent A Car, Budget Car Rental, Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Hertz Rental Car and National Car Rental.
Whether it's a car, van, SUV or truck rental, working families can get good rental car deals and drive in style for less. Discount rental car rates and savings vary depending on the type of car or vehicle, time of year, location and length of car rental reservation.
Rental car features
- In a typical year, you could save an average of $43.20 if you use the Union Plus Rental Car Discounts.
- When you book your discount car rental online, you can also print out your rental car reservation confirmation for your records and to reference when you pick up your car.
- Calling or ordering your rental cars online in advance may also mean you pay less than at the counter.
- Union members can choose to use their Union Plus Credit Card when they make their reservations for Avis or Budget rental cars and automatically get the discount car rental rates. This automatic Union Plus Credit Card discount applies to Avis and Budget car rentals only.
- Union members may be able to rent American-made and environmentally-friendly cars or trucks. You can also choose a GPS in your rental car to assist with directions.
- Instead of waiting in long toll lines, if you rent a car with an E-ZPass or I-Pass, you can pay your toll electronically by driving through a designated lane. State restrictions and terms and conditions may apply.
- If you're not already, consider joining the car rental company's loyalty program when you make your discount rental car reservation, including Alamo Insiders, Avis Preferred Service, Budget's Fastbreak®, Enterprise Plus®, Hertz #1 Club and The Emerald Club® by National Car Rental.
These programs vary by company, but they're typically free and entitle you to certain privileges when picking up your vehicle, including faster car rental reservations without filling out forms or waiting in line since your information will be on file ahead of time. You could also be eligible for additional special offers, upgrades, directions and more.
Car rental tips
How many miles should you plan on driving your rental car in a single day?
Under optimum driving conditions, the maximum number of miles you should drive is about 350 miles per day. Many things can affect the road travel - including weather, traffic, road conditions, terrain (hilly or flat) and driver fatigue. Take these factors into account when planning your trip.
Share your flight information with your rental car company. For airport car rentals, be sure to give the car rental customer service representative your flight number and scheduled arrival time. This will usually protect your reservation if the flight is delayed.
If you have personal auto insurance or charge the rental to a major credit card, you will probably be covered at least for collision damage -- so you shouldn't have to purchase the car rental company's collision or loss damage waiver (CDW or LDW) insurance. If in doubt, ask your insurance agent or credit card issuer. NOTE: The Union Plus Auto Insurance offers coverage for rental car collision damage for personal travel (not business travel).
Before you drive away from the rental car pick-up station, inspect the car carefully for body damage. Be sure the lights and turn signals are working properly, and check the mileage odometer. Report any defects immediately.
Be wary of prepaid gasoline plans. Always fill the tank yourself before returning the vehicle so that you're only paying for the amount of gas you actually used. Try to avoid the gas stations right near the airport where you're dropping off your car -- the prices tend to be highest there. Instead, fill up a few miles away. Even better: Check GasBuddy.com before your trip to find out where the cheapest gas stations are in your area.
Time your car rental return to get the best discount car rental rates. It may seem counterintuitive, but returning your car too early may actually cost you money. You'll sometimes pay an early return fee, but even worse, your rate structure will most likely change and you'll be responsible for the difference. Of course, returning the car late could cost you too -- many car rental companies only give you a 30-minute grace period before beginning to charge late fees.
What's the cell phone usage law in the states you'll be driving in? Here's a handy chart of cell phone laws by state (keep in mind that this information can change at any time). Remember that even if it's legal to talk on a cell phone, it's usually safest to use a hands-free device.
The Union Plus Rental Car Discounts are available in participating locations in the Unites States and Canada. The program is not available in Guam, Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands.
Who is eligible?
- Dues-paying labor union members of participating unions
- Retired union members
- Spouse, domestic partners, and children of union members
- Widows/widowers of union members
- Union Plus credit cardholders
- Alamo Rent A Car
Get discount rental car quotes and make reservations online for Alamo rental cars with your Union Plus discount
By phone: 1-800-462-5266
(reference contract I.D. # 7015700)
Alamo customer service information
- Avis Car Rental
Get discount rental car quotes and make reservations online for Avis rental cars with your Union Plus discount
By phone: 1-800-698-5685
(reference union I.D. # B723700)
Avis customer service information
- Budget Car Rental
Get discount rental car quotes and make reservations online for Budget rental cars with your Union Plus discount
By phone: 1-800-455-2848
(reference union I.D. # V816100)
Budget customer service information
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
Get discount rental car quotes and make reservations online for Enterprise rental cars with your Union Plus discount
By phone: 1-877-222-9711
Enterprise customer service information
Request a receipt
- Hertz Car Rental
Get discount rental car quotes and make reservations online for Hertz rental cars with your Union Plus discount
By phone: 1-800-654-2200
(reference union I.D. # 205666)
Hertz customer service information
Request a receipt
- National Car Rental
Get discount rental car quotes and make reservations online for National rental cars with your Union Plus discount
By phone: 1-800-227-7368
(reference contract I.D. # 5029562)
National customer service information
We realize that sometimes you may need help with a concern about using a Union Plus program. The Union Plus Member Advocacy Program, staffed by OPEIU Local 2 members, is here to help you resolve any problems. Contact us at 1-800-472-2005 (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET, weekdays) or online at