AT&T fights texting-and-driving with powerful documentary
With over 1.9 million YouTube views and 140,000 tweets, Director Werner Herzog's new heart-rending documentary short "From One Second to the Next" sponsored by AT&T has started a viral conversation about the permanent damage caused by texting and driving.
Quick facts about the dangers of texting-and-driving
- Driving a vehicle while texting is six times more dangerous than driving while intoxicated
- 16% of all distracted driving crashes involve drivers under 20
- Over 800,000 vehicles are being driven by someone using a hand-held cell phone at any given moment during daylight hours
- Sending or reading a text takes your eyes off the road for 4.6 seconds, which equates to driving the length of an entire football field, blindfolded at 55 mph
Want to get more involved?
- Take the pledge to never text and drive.
- Share your story by telling why you're taking the pledge
- Get involved by spreading the word and joining the movement
- Stay educated at Distraction.Gov, the official US Government Website for distracted driving
- Download the AT&T Drivemode app that sends you a customizable auto-reply message to incoming texts when your vehicle is traveling 25 mph, letting your friends know you will reply when it's safe