Union Plus

Union Plus is brought to you by Union Privilege, established by the AFL-CIO to provide consumer benefits to members and retirees of participating labor unions. Learn More
Don't miss out on valuable offers! Learn about all your eligible benefits by providing your union information Never Show Again Close
Union Plus
Union Benefits Locator

Tell us who you are

Select Your Union

Select Your Occupation

Moving? Don’t forget your mail!

Posted on October 18, 2013
  • print
  • text size +

After making travel arrangements, deciding on a mover, and checking everything off your “moving list,” you are finally ready to move into your new home.

Don’t forget that union members and their families can receive:


Before you move, here is a list of resources from USA.gov to make the change of address process a little easier:

  • Office Postal Service Change of Address – To help you keep track of your mail, the U.S. Postal Service will forward your mail to your new address up to a year for a small fee. Simply fill out the Change of Address (COA) online form about a month before you move to guarantee you don’t miss any mail.
  • Find a local Post Office to drop off your COA form – If you prefer to change your address in person, you may fill out a change of address form at a local post office. Click through to locate a post office near you.
  • Change your address with the Internal Revenue Service – If you are expecting any correspondence with the IRS (such as a refund), you can notify them of your change of address in many ways. To change your address with the IRS, you may complete a Form 8822 (PDF), Change of Address, a Form 8822-B (PDF), Change of Address — Business and send them to the address shown on the forms. You may download Form 8822 and Form 8822–B from www.irs.gov or order them by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
  • Change your address to Social Security – To receive the proper instructions on changing your address with Social Security based upon your needs, use the U.S. Social Security Administration’s questionnaire as a guide. If you don’t receive benefits, you may also contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).
  • Driver's License – Use USA.gov’s state listing to register your new address on your driver’s license or motor vehicle registration.
  • Change your state voter’s registration – Use the Election Assistance Commission’s interactive map to register your new address on your voter registration.


Ready to move? Union members can request an estimate from either Allied Van Lines or North American Van lines to receive moving discounts on interstate moving, packing and in-transit storage, personal property protection, and a $150 per diem if the interstate move delivery is missed due to no fault of the member*

Allied Van Lines: Call 1-888-642-6814 or go online

North American Van Lines: Call 1-888-813-9595 or go online

When you call, reference your Union Plus discount.

*Per diem is only paid on shipments weighing 3,500 lbs or more for Allied Van Lines and 5,000 lbs or more for North American Van Lines

Explore Union Plus