Summer travel tips
Memorial Day officially kicks off the summer travel season. If you’re planning a vacation, use these tips to save money and reduce travel stress.
Tips for car trips:
- Be prepared by having 24-hour emergency roadside assistance. Union Plus Motor Club costs less than AAA, plus you get $40 in gas rebate vouchers when you sign up for one year.
- Plan itineraries and arrange accommodations well in advance. Reservations for hotels, restaurants and rental cars get booked quickly during peak travel times. Book now to get great deals on nightly and weekly condo rentals with your Union Plus discount.
- Get a tune up. Before any long-distance drive, get your oil changed and your brakes, fluids and tire pressure checked. The slightest deficiency in air pressure significantly reduces a car's gas mileage. Use your Union Plus discount to save 10% on getting your car serviced at Goodyear.
- Get an early start to avoid holiday/weekend gridlock. Traveling during late night/early morning hours helps. The worst times to travel are after meals since most travelers postpone leaving until they've eaten with their families. Make sure all your drivers are thoroughly rested.
Tips for air travel:
- Book your ticket ASAP. The key to securing the best deal is flexibility in your travel date. Also check into special fares or consider flying into an alternate airport and renting a car. Save up to 25% with car rental deals from Union Plus and choose from the top 6 rental companies.
Enter to win 1 of 4 week-long car rentals.
- Arrive early. Airport parking, long lines at security checkpoints, and oversold flights mean it’s a good idea to arrive early.
- Keep a close eye on your belongings. Be aware of your surroundings and keep a close watch over tickets, wallets, purses, and other belongings. Thieves don’t take vacations; but they can ruin yours.
- Avoid getting bumped. 1) Get an advance seat assignment. 2) Check-in online. 3) Don't be late.
- Remember 3-1-1. Regulations limit the amount of gels and liquids passengers can take through security in carry-on luggage. Keep travel-size toiletries to 3 ounces or less that fit comfortably in 1 quart-size, clear plastic zip-top bag with 1 bag per passenger. 3-1-1.
- Know your limits. Pack light and know baggage limits. Many airlines now charge for checked luggage.
- Save $150 on worldwide vacation tours—Choose from 70 escorted tours to destinations around the world.
Travel safely and enjoy!