6 tips for buying the right life insurance
Today, 3 in 10 American households are uninsured and half say they need more life insurance. This is according to the LIFE Foundation, a nonprofit organization that works to educate people about the important role insurance plays in protecting a family’s financial future.
Because choosing the right coverage for your own situation can be complex, The American Council of Life Insurers offers these 6 simple tips for selecting the best plan.
- Start by deciding if you need permanent or term life insurance. Permanent policies will provide money to your family no matter when you die. Term policies will pay only if you die during a specific period of time.
- When you’re trying to decide between life insurance companies, ask family and friends for recommendations. You can also meet with an insurance agent to talk through your options.
- Ask for the outlines of several plans so you can compare the features of the various options you’re considering.
- Always answer the questions on your application truthfully.
- Once you select a plan, store the policy with your other important financial documents, but not in a safe deposit box. Upon death, boxes are sometimes sealed temporarily by the bank, which could delay your family’s access to the coverage.
- Review and update your policy from time to time, especially after major life events like marriages or children being born.