Chill out! 6 tips from Global Fit to avoid stress headaches
April is Stress Awareness Month, an annual reminder to relax for the sake of your mind and body. Stress headaches (also known as tension headaches) are the most common headaches among adults, with 30-80% of the U.S. adult population who occasionally suffer. Although widespread, headaches due to stress can be easily avoided with these 6 headache-fighting tips from Global Fit.
- Slim down â€" Overweight people are more likely to experience headaches due to such causes as high blood pressure and poor circulation. When thinking of headache management, also consider weight management.
- Workout â€" Burn off stress and burn off calories! By releasing endorphins and improving blood flow, regular exercise is an easy way to reduce headaches.
- Sit up straight â€" Bad posture is a leading cause of headaches. When at your desk, sit with your back erect, feet comfortably on the floor, and adjust your computer so that you do not need to reach for the keyboard or bend your neck to see the monitor. Taking a short stretch break is a great way to release muscle tension.
- Sleep tight â€" Plan specific times to go to sleep and to wake up, even on the weekends, for a time period of 7-8 hours per night. If you are having difficulty sleeping, take steps to make your bedroom a more suitable environment such as removing TVs, computers, and other distractions.
- Have some water â€" Especially as the weather gets warmer, more water will mean fewer headaches. Researchers in the Netherlands found that, for headache sufferers who drank fewer than 10 cups a day, drinking 6 more cups led to fewer headaches for nearly half.
- Quit smoking â€" In addition to the many health risks of smoking, the Nicotine from smoking causes blood vessels in the brain to constrict (narrow) which can cause headaches. By avoiding smoking, you can avoid headaches.
Looking to save on a local gym near your zip code? You get union member savings with the Union Plus Health Club Discounts through GlobalFit. The Union Plus program gives union members the guaranteed lowest rates at gyms, including 24 Hour Fitness, Bally, Curves, Anytime Fitness, New York Sports Club, and thousands of local favorites.â€
To find a participating network gym near you, visit the Union Plus GlobalFit site at www.globalfit.com/unionplus. Or call 1-800-294-1500 and ask about any special offers for even greater savings!*