Tips for union-made summer cookouts
With the 4th of July coming soon and summer grilling season in full swing, now’s the time to make sure your cookouts are union-made and your grilling is safe.
Union-Made Summer Favorites
Did you know Weber grills, Coppertone, Fritos, and Bud are all union-made? These are just a few of the many great products made by your union brothers and sisters at UFCW, BCTGM, IAM and UAW. Looking for the union label is a great way to support fellow workers year round.
Find a list of your favorite union-made beers. And for your mobile shopping list, text BEER to 22555.
Look for union-made products with Union Plus discounts.
Rosie the Riveter’s Favorite Snacks: Next time you’re making S'mores, use Hershey Chocolate Bars, Stay Puffed Marshmallows and Honey Maid Graham Crackers. They’re all union-made.
And don’t forget to reach for union-made Doritos, Lays Classic Potato Chips or Ruffles Cheddar Cheese & Sour Cream chips the next time you’re at the ballpark or grocery store.
As the outdoor cooking season heats up, Consumer Reports offers these safe grilling tips:
- Never use a grill indoors due to carbon monoxide (CO) and fire hazards.
- Use your grill at least 10’ away from your house or any building. And don’t grill in your garage, breezeway, car port or under any surface that will burn such as a wood deck or balcony.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.
- Never leave a grill unattended.
- When a flare occurs, adjust the controls on a gas grill or spread out the coals on a charcoal grill to lower the temperature.
- If a grease fire occurs, turn off the gas grill or spread out the coals on a charcoal grill to lower the temperature.
- Keep children away from the grill. Even the outside surfaces are hot and cause burns when touched.
Many models of Weber brand grills--union made in the U.S.A.--are highly rated by Consumer Reports for their safety, performance and value. Look for Weber grills with a CR recommended rating.
Want more consumer advice to help you buy the right product at the right price? Use your Union Plus discount to subscribe to Consumer Reports online and save 27%. Your subscription also supports fellow workers at a unionized company.