Union Plus breaks a sweat at So Others Might Eat
Union Plus takes solidarity very seriously. For union members, we provide the only labor-backed programs giving aid to union members in need. For our local community, Union Plus sets a day aside every year to share labor's commitment to communal good. On Friday, June 7th, Union Plus sponsored a Fitness Day at So Others Might Eat (SOME).
SOME has served Washington, DC for over 40 years, working to:
- Feed and clothe DC's homeless and poor
- Treat ill, homeless people at our medical, dental and mental health programs
- Train people for jobs and house homeless families and single adults
Over the years, SOME has helped thousands of people get off the streets, transform their lives, and live independently. Union Plus and SOME coordinated a fitness day to spread the message, "No matter your situation, everyone can make a little change to be healthier."
Although the rain kept the activities indoors, the day was filled with a yoga class, healthy smoothies, workout class, health-quiz bingo, and workshops about how to shop for your waistline and your wallet.
In the spirit of health awareness, Union Plus staff was asked to submit their own ideas for little changes that anybody could make to be a little healthier. Here are the 11 tips from Union Plus staff:
- Go to the gym three times per week and pedal for 30 minutes. - Karol Olson, Vice President of Marketing
- Drink water instead of soda at lunch. - Freda McDonald, Desktop Publishing Specialist
- Ride a bike into work; snack on fruits, nuts and vegetables instead of chips, etc; use the building system at least three days a week; drink half my body weight in ounces of water ever day; and join a running club - Steven Montoya, Strategic Initiatives
- Do the 7-minute workout weekly to stay fit! - Eleanor Trice, Vice President, Strategic Initiatives
- Exercise at least once a week. For example, do yoga. - Christelle Nesmith, Senior Project Manager
- Keep a healthy snack handy in your car or gym bag, that way you will be less tempted to buy chips or a candy bar when hunger strikes. - Denise Reiffenstein, Production Manager
- Always take the stairs, cut soda, only drink one cup of coffee, and never go 2 days without a workout. - Kevin Cheng, E-Outreach Coordinator
- Reduce my sugar intake (can't give it up completely!). - Amy Cybyske, Deputy Director, E-Communications
- Walk my dog one block further than the day before. - Brea Ellis, Union Services Representative
- Park at the far end of the parking lot when going to the grocery, mall, or any kind of shopping. It's a good way to get in a little exercise and there are usually more spaces open. - Andrew McGehee, Deputy Program Management Director
- Replace bad habits with good ones. For example, if you are a smoker, try to replace that habit with a new healthy habit like going to the gym or exercising daily. - Rochelle Osei-Tutu, Customer Service Specialist
Check out our photos from SOME!
Need to make a little change yourself? Find a local gym near your zip code and get union member savings with the Union Plus Health Club Discounts through GlobalFit. The Union Plus program gives union members the guaranteed lowest rates at gyms, including 24 Hour Fitness, Bally, Curves, Anytime Fitness, New York Sports Club, and thousands of local favorites.â€
To find a participating network gym near you, visit the Union Plus GlobalFit site at www.globalfit.com/unionplus. Or call 1-800-294-1500 and ask about any special offers for even greater savings!*