Union Plus LaborCorps Education Grants
LaborCorps Education GrantApplicaton is closed
Union Plus LaborCorps Education Grants
- Helping to repay labor workers' student loan debt.
- Young labor activists with student loan debt - who work for a labor union or affiliated organization - may receive a grant of up to $2,000.
- Apply online for a LaborCorps Education Grant.
LaborCorps Grants are no longer offered.
Application Deadline was: 12:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) on Wednesday, July 31, 2013.
Helping young labor activists with student loan debt
With student loan debt now surpassing $1 trillion - Union Plus is now offering grants to assist young labor activists with the high cost of their student loans.
Young labor activists who work full time for an eligible labor union or affiliated labor organization can apply for a grant of up to $2,000 to help pay off their student loans.
- Current full-time employees of an eligible labor organization for a minimum of two years.
- 35 years of age or younger.
- At least $10,000 in outstanding federal or private student loan debt.
- See full eligibility details below.
- Amounts are based on the number of years employed at a qualifying labor union/organization job:
- 2 years - $500
- 3 years - $1,000
- 4 years - $1,500
- 5+ years - $2,000
- Grants are paid directly to the financial institution that holds the student loan.
- Lifetime limit: one LaborCorps Grant.
Special grant for a graduate of the AFL-CIO Law Student Union Summer program now working at a law firm that's a member of the AFL-CIO Lawyers Coordinating Committee. See application for details.
Register to create your LaborCorps Education Grant online application. You can complete your application in steps, saving your information and then submit your completed application.
Required items include employment, union and student loan information, plus two required essays.
If you meet the requirements you'll receive a grant - but grants are only available for as long as funds last.
**LaborCorps Grants are only available for as long as funds last.**
Grant Award Date:
Labor Day - Monday, September 2, 2013. By Labor Day grant recipients will be individually notified.
LaborCorps Education Grants are no longer offered.
The LaborCorps Grants application is no longer available.
Application Deadline was: 12:00 p.m.(Eastern Time) on Wednesday, July 31, 2013.
|Eligibility Details||Eligible Employers|
- Be employed full-time for at least two years, and currently employed full-time, by a national or local union that offers Union Plus benefits, or by an eligible AFL-CIO affiliated organization. (See list of eligible employers below.)
- Be a current member of an eligible union.
Exception: Eligible union staff members not members of a union offering Union Plus benefits, must be current members of Working America.
- Be 35 years of age or younger, at the time of application.
- Have at least $10,000 in outstanding federal or private student loan debt.
- Have graduated from an accredited college or university with a degree.
- Apply for the grant online with the required documentation listed in the application-including employer details and student loan information.
- Deadline: a complete application must be received on or before 12:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) on Wednesday, July 31, 2013.
- Special grant for AFL-CIO Law Student Union Summer graduate - see application for details.
National or local unions that offer Union Plus benefits
AFL-CIO State Federation of Labor or Central Labor Councils
These affiliated organizations:
AFL-CIO Constituency Groups
A. Philip Randolph Institute
AFL-CIO Union Veterans Council
Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance
Coalition of Black Trade Unionists
Coalition of Labor Union Women
Labor Council for Latin American Advancement Pride At Work
Alliance for Retired Americans
American Center for International Labor Solidarity (Solidarity Center)
American Rights at Work
Community Services Network
International Labor Communications Association
Jobs with Justice
Labor Heritage Foundation
National Day Laborer Organizing Network
National Domestic Workers Alliance
National Guestworker Alliance
Working for America Institute
AFL-CIO Building Investment Trust
AFL-CIO Credit Union
AFL-CIO Housing Investment Trust
National Labor College
Program funded by Capital One N.A., the provider of the Union Plus Credit Card