2010 Union Plus Scholarship Video Contest
What is the Union Plus Scholarship Video Contest - and who participated?
- A young woman with both parents belonging to unions; and her own ambition to be part of the union by becoming a music teacher
- A disabled young woman, not wanting her disability to prevent her from becoming a productive member of society
- A talented first generation immigrant from China with a hard work ethic, musical ambition, and a golden voice
All of these people have received Union Plus Scholarships! Since 1992, the Union Plus Scholarship Program has awarded over $3 million to over 1,900 union families pursuing post-secondary education.
The Scholarship Video Contest winner - Lezhi Wang - whose mother, Xiaodan Song, is a member of CWA Local 9119, took home the grand prize of a new iPhone. Take a minute to listen to her story!
Make sure to check out the other contestants' contributions. You'll be inspired by viewing videos from Union Plus Scholarship recipients to learn about their educational goals and commitment to the labor movement. Apply for the 2011 Union Plus Scholarship - deadline: January 31, 2011.
What are Union Plus benefits -- and what do they offer students?
The AFL-CIO created Union Plus benefits in 1986 to provide union members and their families with valuable consumer benefits -- including financial services, a legal service, scholarships, consumer education information, discounts and more.
By using the exclusive buying power of unions, Union Plus offers valuable, discounted products and services exclusively to union families.
Union members and their children who are pursuing higher education should:
- Apply for the Union Plus Scholarship
- Apply for the $500 Union SAFE College Savings Grant
- Check out the Union Plus College Planning site
- Save on Union Plus College Test Preparation – including exclusive union member discounts on SAT, ACT, LSAT, MCAT, GRE and GMAT prep courses to help improve your test scores.
- If you have a Union Plus Credit Card, use it to make eligible educational purchases and you could receive a Union Plus Education Rebate up to $250.
- Sign up for free emails to stay informed about your Union Plus benefits
Why pay full price for student necessities when your union membership entitles family members with savings?
- Budget truck rentals
- AT&T Wireless discounts -- including iPhone plans
- Motor Club -- less expensive and more comprehensive than AAA
- Dell discounts on laptops, PDAs, printers, plasma screens, digital cameras, etc.
- And more!