Life Insurance for Union Members
The Union Plus Life Insurance Difference:
- Competitive rates for life insurance. Call 1-800-393-0864.
- Union Plus Insurance is underwritten by Hartford Life and Accident Insurance Company.
- Strict oversight by an unpaid, independent board of AFL-CIO trustees who are retired union members.
- Layoff assistance and strike assistance that help protect union members when you're out of work.
- Support from a third-party union member advocate for union members requesting assistance.
To apply for Union Plus Life Insurance
Phone: Call 1-800-393-0864 and an experienced rep will help you get the best insurance for your situation.
Union Plus Life Insurance offers several types of coverage.
- Term-to-70 Life Insurance (for ages 18-64) Whether it's from an illness or an accident, you can help increase your family's security until age 70 without ever reapplying for coverage. Life insurance rates are based on a 5-year band plan. And with its "living benefit" feature you can collect benefits from this life insurance when you might need them the most - during a terminal illness.
Term-to-70 life insurance is most popular with members ages 30 to 39 and Union Plus is very competitive for those ages for both males and females.
- 10-Year Term Life Insurance (for ages 25-64) An economical way to get the most life insurance protection during those crucial years when your family bills - such as the mortgage or college tuition - are at their highest. Your life insurance premium and benefits are fixed for ten years (with re-application available).
- Senior Term Life Insurance (for age 55 and over) Designed for mature empty-nesters who don't want to leave the burden of final expenses on their families after they die. There's no termination age for this life insurance. A range of coverage options to fit your budget is available. And a "living benefit" feature allows you to collect benefits, and pay no monthly life insurance premium, when you might need them the most - during a terminal illness.
Life Insurance Service Features
Learn about the details of Union Plus term life insurance on UnionPlusInsurance.com:
- Term-to-70 Term Life Insurance (for ages 18-64) Term-to-70 life insurance is most popular with members ages 30 to 39 and Union Plus Insurance is very competitive for those ages for both males and females.
- 10-Year Term Life Insurance (for ages 25-64)
- Senior Term Life Insurance (for age 55 and over)
Union Plus Insurance is underwritten by Hartford Life and Accident Insurance Company.1.
Life Insurance Tips
How much insurance do you need? You can also get a ballpark figure using any number of formulas. The easiest way is to simply take your annual salary and multiply by 8.
A more detailed method is to add up the monthly expense your family will incur after your death. Remember to include the one-time expenses at death and the ongoing expenses such as a mortgage or school bills. Take the ongoing expenses and divide by .07. That indicates you'll want a lump sum of money earning approximately 7% each year to pay those ongoing expenses. Add to that amount any money you'll need to cover one-time expenses and you'll have a rough estimate of the amount of life insurance you need. Use this calculator to find out how much insurance you and your family need.
Please consult your personal financial advisor as individual needs may vary.
The Union Plus Life Insurance Service is available in the Unites States. It is not available in Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands.
Who is eligible?
- All dues-paying labor union members
- Retired union members
- Spouse, domestic partner and children of union members
- Widows/widowers of union members
For any questions, including submitting a claim or enrollment, call Union Plus Insurance directly at 1-800-393-0864 (M-F, 8 am to 7 pm, ET).
We realize that sometimes you may need help with a concern about using a Union Plus program. The Union Plus Member Advocacy Program, staffed by OPEIU Local 2 members, is here to help you resolve any problems. Contact us at 1-800-472-2005 (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET, weekdays) or online at UnionPlus.org/Customer.
1 The Hartford® is The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc., and its subsidiaries, including issuing company Hartford Life and Accident Insurance Company.