Legal Help for Union Families
Get free and discounted legal advice today
No sign-up required.
Contact a lawyer today.
Call 1-888-993-8886Find a Lawyer
The Union Plus Legal Service Difference:
- Free Consultation - up to 30 minutes.
- 30% discount off hourly rates and flat fees.
- Over 2,000 law offices nationwide.
- Over 25 years serving union members - over 1 million member referrals.
- Instant access - no enrollment fee, no sign-up required.
Get free legal advice today - call 1-888-993-8886or search for a lawyer online.
Find a Lawyer
Say you are calling for "Union Plus Legal Service"
- Call 1-888-993-8886
(9am-7pm ET, M-F) or
- Find a lawyer online.
- Print a Union Plus Legal Service business card as a handy reference.
Select a participating lawyer
Panel lawyers have expertise in a variety of areas, including:
- Family law
- Traffic matters
- Wills and estate-planning
- Real estate
Legal aid services you can trust
- Selective. Lawyers are carefully screened and selected to make sure members receive the best services available.
- Labor-friendly. Many panel attorneys serving the program have been selected from lists of labor-friendly lawyers.
- Experienced. Panel attorneys average 14 years in legal practice.
- Confidential. Only your lawyer will know you are using the service.
- Tell us about your experience - our union member advocate will follow up on any complaints.
- Recommend a lawyer for the panel of participaing attorneys.
Program is provided by Union Privilege and Custom Legal Plans, LLC.
No enrollment forms or fees required. Union members are automatically enrolled and receive:
- Free initial consultation - up to 30 minutes with a lawyer (in person or over the phone).
- Free simple document review and explanation. Members can avoid mistakes by understanding what they sign. Members are provided with an oral interpretation of personal documents like leases, insurance policies and installment sales contracts.*
- Free follow-up services, including a simple letter or phone call, if likely to resolve a legal matter.
- Most additional services are discounted by 30% - including lawyer's hourly rates and flat fees for most common legal cases.
- Written fee agreement - protecting members and preventing any surprises.
*Free document review benefit does not include real estate matters. Discounts do not apply to matters involving: a member's ownership or operation of a business, and union-related organizations or officials.
Join legal panel
Union members may also recommend a lawyer for the Union Plus legal panel.
Have you done a legal check-up lately? It typically involves 4 steps:
- Gather important documents and organize relevant information into a coherent picture of your legal situation.
- Analyze the picture in light of your goals.
- Recommend specific changes and note areas that bear watching.
- Do whatever is required to help assure legal health.
The Union Plus Legal Service is available in the United States and Puerto Rico.
Who is eligible?
- All dues-paying labor union members
- Union member retirees
- Union member spouses and dependent children (as defined by IRS regulations)
No participating lawyers in your area?
- Let us know where the program needs participating lawyers by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Or recommend a lawyer in your area by completing this form.
- Union Plus Legal Service customer service is available at 1-888-993-8886 (9-7 ET, M-F). All calls are answered in the U.S.
- Find a lawyer online and after selecting a lawyer, use the online tool to notify that lawyer by email of your intent to contact their office; you can even briefly describe your legal issue.
No participating lawyers in your area?
- Let us know where the program needs participating lawyers by emailing email@example.com.
- Or recommend a lawyer in your area by completing this form.
We realize that sometimes you may need help with a concern about using a Union Plus program. The Union Plus Member Advocacy Program, staffed by OPEIU Local 2 members, is here to help you resolve any problems. Contact us at 1-800-472-2005 (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET, weekdays) or online at UnionPlus.org/Customer.
- What should I say when I call a participating attorney?
- Can I call more than one lawyer?
- May I access the legal service more than once a year?
- There are no lawyers in my area. What can I do?
- Can I switch attorneys if I’m unhappy?
- Do you have attorneys who speak Spanish?
- I have an attorney. If I can persuade him/her to join your program will I get the discount?
- I have an employment grievance and would like to speak to an attorney. Can you help?
- My lawyer asked for a case or authorization number. What does that mean?
- I think I'm eligible for another legal plan. Do you have information on other plans?
- What is not covered under the service?
- How is quality legal service ensured?
- What types of services do members get for free?
- How much will I save on other services?
What should I say when I call a participating attorney?
Make sure you identify that you are were referred by the “Union Plus Legal Service”. Also, remember to ask for a written fee agreement to avoid any unpleasant surprises.
Can I call more than one lawyer?
Yes you can contact more than one attorney. When you call for a referral we will limit referrals to two panel attorneys, and we’ll try to give you the attorneys that best match your needs. But in general, we do ask that you limit the number of attorneys you contact.
May I access the legal service more than once a year?
Yes, there is no limit to the number of times you can access the plan. However, the free initial consultation and other free benefits are only offered once per separate legal matter.
There are no lawyers in my area. What can I do?
Sorry we don't have any attorneys at this time. We are continuously updating our listing and searching for interested attorneys. We encourage lawyers, union members and leaders to complete our Recommend a Lawyer Form.
Can I switch attorneys if I’m unhappy?
You can switch attorneys, but it can be complicated and expensive. Make sure you read your fee or retainer agreement before taking any action.
Do you have attorneys who speak Spanish?
Yes we have some panel attorneys (or their office staff) who speak Spanish. See the “Other Language” section when searching online or ask for Spanish speakers when you call the Union Plus Legal Service at 1-888-993-8886 (9 am -7 pm ET, M-F).
I have an attorney. If I can persuade him/her to join your program will I get the discount?
Yes, if the attorney joins the program before you start your case, you can get the discount. Recommend a lawyer here.
I have an employment grievance and would like to speak to an attorney. Can you help?
Your local union may handle your grievance, so try contacting them first. You may also be interested in some attorneys that handle employment. You can select that category on the Find a Lawyer Online form.
My lawyer asked for a case or authorization number. What does that mean?
The lawyer is probably confusing our program with another union legal program (probably a union prepaid legal service plan). Be sure to explain to your attorney that you are participating in the Union Plus Legal Service, the AFL-CIO's legal program, which does not require pre-authorization.
I think I'm eligible for another legal plan. Do you have information on other plans?
Some local unions offer members a prepaid legal program separate from the UPLS program. Two of the larger programs are:
- UAW Legal Services Plan - offered to currently employed members who work at Chrysler, Ford or GM and some other companies. Call the UAWLSP at 1-800-521-4862.
- New York State members and retirees of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) have their own legal services through the New York State United Teachers (NYSUT). These members must call 1-800-626-8101 or 1-518-459-5400 in the Albany, NY area.
You may be eligible for another legal plan through your national or local union. Your local union office should have more information.
What is not covered under the service?
Because this is a union program, matters involving a union-related organization or union official are not handled by the service. Matters involving your ownership or operation of a business are not covered. The document review benefit does not include written evaluations, nor does it include documents written by you, such as contracts, rental agreements, etc. Note, closing on a mortgage loan is not covered by the free document review benefit. Participating attorneys are not obligated to take a case and may decline if they so choose.
How is quality legal service ensured?
Union Plus Legal Service attorneys are carefully selected to make sure you receive the best service available. All participating attorneys are in active practice, with an average of 14 years of experience. Union leaders or members have recommended many of them to this program. All of them must go through an extensive review process and must carry malpractice insurance.
The program continuously monitors participating attorneys, and you will have the opportunity to complete a simple evaluation about your attorney's performance. A program administrator reviews all evaluations. The administrator also keeps track of any complaints filed by members against participating attorneys. If an attorney does not measure up to our performance standards, Union Privilege, the organization founded by the AFL-CIO to develop and manage member benefits, can have that attorney dismissed from the panel.
What types of services do members get for free?
Free consultation up to 30 minutes on almost any legal matter — either over the phone or in person. Members may consult with an attorney as many times as they need to, provided it is about a separate matter each time.
Free simple document review. Have important papers, leases, insurance policies or other contracts reviewed and explained. (Written evaluations are not part of the service, nor are documents written by members or for use in a business capacity.)
Free follow-up services. If the attorney thinks making a phone call or writing a letter will solve the problem, then it will be done for free.
How much will I save on other services?
For complex matters that require further attention from your attorney (such as closing a mortgage loan), members save 30 percent off the attorney’s normal fee. Discounted flat fees may be available for some common services such as drafting a will. Smaller discounts apply to contingent or percentage fee cases. To avoid unpleasant surprises, make sure you sign a written fee agreement in advance.