Hospital Care Grant
$1,000 grants to assist in paying for large, out-of-pocket hospital expenses for union members, your spouses or dependent household members.
- You must be a union member or union retiree.
- You must be a participant in at least one of the following programs for at least one year and your account or policy must be in good standing:
- Union Plus Credit Card
- Union Plus Mortgage
- Union Plus Life or Accident Insurance
- You, your spouse or your dependent household member must have had unreimbursed hospital expenses related to an event resulting in hospitalization that occurred within 12 months prior to your application.
- Your out-of-pocket hospital expenses (after insurance) must be equal to or more than 10% of your household income.
- Lifetime limit: one $1,000 hospital care grant per household
Eligible hospital expenses:
- When you calculate your out-of-pocket hospital expenses, you may include the insurance deductibles, any hospital charges, physician charges, medications and other medical expenses incurred during the hospitalization.
- Include only those hospital expenses related to an event resulting in hospitalization that occurred within 12 months prior to your application.
- Do not include expenses that were covered by your (or your spouse/dependentâ€™s) health insurance.
- Do not include expenses from care before or after the time of hospitalization.
- Unreimbursed expenses must total at least 10% of householdâ€™s gross income.
How to apply
- Collect the following:
- Documentation for household income (tax return(s) or W-2s for your household members for last year)
- Hospital bills, insurance Explanation of Benefit (EOB) forms. Make sure you have documentation for all periods of hospitalization and explanation of insurance benefits for all coverage you received.
- Complete the online application form.
- Please allow 4-5 weeks for application processing. You will notified by mail when your application has been approved or denied.
Print the online application PDF, sign and mail all required documentation to:
ATTN: Union SAFE Hospital Care Grants
1100 1st Street, NE, Suite 850
Washington, DC 20002