6 fun union-made recipes for Thanksgiving
This year, everyone is looking for a fresh idea to make Thanksgiving a little more special, so here's an easy tip: Why not buy union made?
Using our complete list of union-made food and drinks, we found six fun, easy recipes that are delicious and use union-made ingredients.
Be sure to thank your union brothers and sisters at the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW), Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers (BCTGM), and the United Automobile Workers (UAW). These also pair nicely with union-made beer!
Ovengold Thanksgiving Sandwich with Boar's Head Turkey (UFCW)
2 slices Boar's Head Fontina Cheese
2 slices cranberry walnut bread
Â¼ cup baby spinach wilted with garlic
4 tbsp cranberry spread
4 Boar's Head Ovengold Roasted Breast of Turkey
2 tbsp honey mustard
- Over low heat, sauté one clove of minced garlic in olive oil until tender.
- Add spinach and toss until wilted.
- On a clean surface, place the bread slices next to each other.
- Spread 2 tbsp of mustard on one slice and Pile on the spinach mixture, Fontina cheese, and turkey breast.
- On the other slice of bread, top with cranberry spread and crown sandwich.
Loaded au Gratin Potatoes with Betty Crocker Potatoes (UFCW)
1 box (4.7 oz) Betty Crocker au gratin potatoes
2 cups boiling water
1 cup half-and-half
2 tbsp margarine or butter
6 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 oz)
Â¼ cup sliced green onions (4 medium)
Â¼ tsp coarse ground black pepper
Â½ cup plain bread crumbs
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oven to 400Â°F.
- In 2-quart casserole, mix Potatoes, Sauce Mix, boiling water, half-and-half and butter. Stir in remaining potato ingredients.Bake uncovered 35 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake 8 minutes longer or until topping is golden.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Let stand 5 minutes before serving (sauce will thicken as it stands).
Sweet Potato Bake with Kellog's Frosted Flakes (UFCW)
3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
2 tbsp margarine or butter, softened
1 tsp grated orange peel
Â½ tsp salt
1 cup miniature marshmallows
3 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes cereal (crushed to 1 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- Combine sweet potatoes, the 2 tablespoons softened margarine, orange peel and salt. Spread mixture in shallow 1-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray.
- Arrange marshmallows over potatoes, pressing slightly.
- Combine Kellogg's Corn Flakes cereal with remaining melted margarine. Sprinkle over marshmallows.
- Bake at 375Â° F about 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Bourbon-Pumpkin Pie Bites using Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust (BCTGM)
1 PillsburyÂ® refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box
Â½ cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Â½ tsp ground cloves
Â½ tsp ground ginger
Â½ tsp vanilla
Â¼ tsp kosher (coarse) salt
Â½ cup whipping cream
2 tbsp bourbon
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
Heat oven to 350Â°F.
Unroll pie crust on cutting board. Using rolling pin, roll out crust until slighter thinner. With 4-inch round cookie cutter, cut crust into 12 rounds, gathering scraps and rolling out in order to cut last 3 rounds.
Gently press rounds into 12 ungreased regular-size muffin cups, pressing folds of dough inside cups around sides to make smooth surface.
In large bowl, beat remaining ingredients until smooth. Fill each cup to top of dough.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes.
Run knife around edges of cups to loosen. Turn mini pies out onto cooling rack; turn pies over. If desired, top each with whipped cream. Serve immediately. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Peanut Butter Monkey Bread using Planters Peanuts (UAW)
Â¼ cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp PLANTERS Cinnamon Raisin Granola Crunch â€" Crunchy Peanut Butter with Cinnamon, Raisins & Granola
2 tbsp maple-flavored or pancake syrup
1 tbsp water
6 tbsp PLANTERS COCKTAIL Peanuts, divided
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 can (16.3 oz.) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits, each cut into quarters
- Heat oven to 350Â°F.
- Microwave brown sugar, butter, peanut butter, syrup and water in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1 min. or until butter is melted; stir until mixture is well blended. Pour into 9-inch pan sprayed with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/4 cup nuts.
- Use pulsing action to process remaining nuts and granulated sugar in food processor until nuts are almost ground; pour into shallow dish.
- Dip dough pieces in nut mixture, turning to evenly coat each piece. Arrange in single layer over ingredients in pan; top with any remaining nut mixture.
- Bake 25 min. or until golden brown. Cool 1 min.; invert onto plate. Remove pan. Top bread with any nuts remaining in pan; cool slightly.
Roast Turkey with Spicy Rub using Butterball Turkey (UFCW)
3 tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tbsp kosher or sea salt
3 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp roasted cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp ground coriander
1 (12 to 14 lb.) ButterballÂ® Whole Turkey, thawed if frozen
- Combine all ingredients except turkey and oil. Blend well. (May be prepared 2 to 3 days in advance. Store mixture in an airtight container at room temperature.)
- Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; refrigerate for another use or discard. Turn wings back to hold neck skin in place. Return legs to the tucked position, if untucked. Place turkey, breast side up, on flat rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Brush outside of the turkey with half of the oil; rub outside and inside cavity with spice mixture. Cover and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325Â°F.
- Brush spiced turkey with remaining 3 tbsp. of oil. Bake approximately 3 hours*, or until meat thermometer reaches 180Â°F when inserted in the thickest part of the thigh. Remove turkey from oven.
- Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.
Need more Pin-spiration? Check out the Union Plus Pinterest Board for 70 union made recipe ideas!
Follow Union Plus Union Recipes on Pinterest