Union Plus Mortgage Assistance
Are you concerned about missing a house payment or facing foreclosure because you're disabled, laid off, locked out or on strike?
Union Plus Mortgage Assistance offers payment assistance interest-free loans & grants to help make mortgage payments when you're disabled, unemployed, locked out or on strike. The program has provided over $9 million in assistance to union members.
Here's how Union Plus Mortgage Assistance works:
- You must verify your union membership and have a Union Plus Mortgage for at least one year to qualify. Benefits are available for the first mortgage loan on your primary residence only.
- Loans are based on need and cover up to 6 months of mortgage payments. (You must re-certify after 3 months.)
- Total payments will not exceed $15,000 and you are responsible for paying the taxes and insurance portion of your monthly payment if these are not included in your regular monthly mortgage payment.
- Up to $1,000 of the first assistance loan payment is a grant and does not need to be repaid.
- Repayment of this loan begins 4 months after your last assistance program payment.
- If you sell or refinance your home, you must repay your loan in full at the time of sale when proceeds from the sale or refinancing exceed the value of the mortgage.
- See details on the strike benefit below.
- Union Plus mortgage customers may also be eligible for hospital care, disaster relief and college savings Union SAFE grants to help union members facing financial hardship.
- Also check out the Union Plus Save My Home Hotline.
To apply for Mortgage Assistance online* you'll need:
- An e-mail address, so we can contact you about your application
- Your 10-digit Chase loan number. IMPORTANT: To apply, you MUST have a Union Plus Mortgage through Chase for at least one year.
- The name of your union and the local #
- Your monthly gross (before tax) income when you're working a full-time schedule
- Your monthly gross (before tax) unemployment or disability benefits (sickness & accident, worker's compensation, etc.)
- The last day you worked
*If you're unable to apply online and need an application mailed to you, please call 1-800-472-2005 to request one by mail.
Strike benefit with the Union Plus Mortgage program
If you're a union member involved in an authorized strike or lock-out lasting 30 days or more, Union Plus Mortgage Assistance provides additonal strike/lock-out benefits.
- During the first 30 days of the strike, a member can apply for a loan to cover the period. During the strike benefit period, no extended benefits (loan) are allowed. (No duplicate coverage under both the strike and loan benefits for the same time period.)
- Extended benefits (up to 5 months) under the loan provision are allowed after the completion of the strike benefits period.
- Loan repayment for these loans begins 4 months after the last assistance payment -- stirke or loan, whichever is later.
- These benefits do not have to be repaid. This is a one-time benefit for one strike or lock-out during the entire term of your mortgage.