Consumer Credit & Budget Counseling
The Union Plus Consumer Credit Counseling Service Difference:
- Free budget analysis session for union members: Request a session online or call 1-877-833-1745.
- Program provider, non-profit Money Management International (MMI), is accredited to provide counseling for labor union members entering bankruptcy
- No set up fee for initial debt management plan (DMP)
- Receive reimbursement of all first year DMP fees after successfully completing 12 months of the plan (union members only).
- Bankruptcy service fee waived. Call 1-866-279-7197 - use code BUP 99999
- Largest network of local offices for those who don't prefer credit counseling online or by phone
- Consumer credit and money management counseling workshops provided for union members
- Experienced credit counselors are available 24/7. Call 1-877-833-1745.
Get a free no-obligation money & credit assessment
- Call 1-877-833-1745 - available 24/7.
- Credit counseling services are available at branch locations in some areas. Call 1-877-833-1745 to ask if it's possible to set up an in-person meeting at a branch office.
- Complete the confidential credit counseling request form online on the special MMI site for union members
Reliable consumer credit counseling services
Managing your money and credit doesn't have to be a risky business…It's often difficult to choose among the messages bombarding consumers from fraudulent debt management companies and their misleading credit counseling service offers.
Labor union families can turn to Union Plus Credit Counseling through Money Management International (MMI).
Advice designed and discounted especially for union members
Certified, experienced consumer credit counseling advisors listen to you and your needs, then help you develop a plan of action for debt repayment that you can follow to help eliminate your debt.
No confusing gimmicks or overwhelming options. Just sound advice that'll help you stop collection agencies from controlling your financial life.
Budget analysis & credit counseling
You can get a FREE consumer credit counseling session, budget analysis and money management advice to get back on the road to financial recovery. Complete a confidential request for consumer credit counseling online or call 1-877-833-1745 - available 24/7.
Your free session covers:
- Complete financial review, budget analysis and credit management counseling
- Assistance in budgeting or advice on sources of additional income
- Advice on how to work with creditors
- A written Action Plan that summarizes your financial situation, provides a budget and timeline for reaching your debt management and repayment goals, and restates action items
- Referral to a social service organization in your area, if appropriate
- Referral to Union Plus Legal Service or Union Plus Mortgage Assistance program, if appropriate
Money & credit
- Customer Service
Debt management plan (DMP)
After the initial credit counseling session, if you need additional assistance to eliminate debt, your counselor will develop a customized debt management plan (DMP) for you. With the Union SAFE grant, you don't need to pay any of the DMP set-up fees. Union members who complete one year on a DMP are also eligible to apply for reimbursement of the monthly fees.
In short, a DMP allows you to make one simple monthly payment to MMI, and authorizes MMI to pay each of your creditors on your behalf based on the debt repayment plan terms negotiated with them.
MMI also works with creditors to stop collection, waive or reduce interest charges, and eliminate finance charge or late fees, wherever possible.
Pre-filing bankruptcy counseling and pre-discharge education as required under the new bankruptcy code are also now available.
To waive the bankruptcy service fee, call the special Union Plus Credit Counseling line at 1-866-279-7197 (use code - BUP 99999) for bankruptcy counseling.
Save my home hotline
The dedicated "Save My Home Hotline", 1-866-490-5361, is available for labor union members to reach HUD-certified counselors to discuss issues surrounding home mortgage payment difficulties. If you're falling behind on payments or expect to fall behind soon (e.g. because of an ARM adjustment), it's much better to act now and call to figure out options.
Mortgage assistance grants are available to assist qualifying labor union members with delinquent mortgage payments; grants are available to union members in:
- New Jersey,
- New York,
- Texas, and
The Union Plus Credit Counseling provider, Money Management International (MMI), was carefully chosen to protect the interests of union members. All interaction and transactions through this program are strictly confidential.
For over 46 years, MMI and its family of Consumer Credit Counseling Services (CCCS) agencies have helped consumers nationwide by providing high quality, comprehensive credit counseling, education and debt management assistance. MMI is a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC) and the Association of Independent Consumer Credit Counseling agencies (AICCCA). MMI is the nation's largest full service, non-profit credit counseling agency and currently assists nearly 100,000 clients repay their debts.
Under revised laws, consumers filing for bankruptcy must have mandatory counseling before they can file. Consumers also must participate in a financial education program before the bankruptcy can be discharged. The Union Plus program is accredited to provide both services.
MMI is constantly growing and currently has nearly 120 local offices throughout the country. Check for a consumer credit counseling office near you.
Money & credit
- It pays to do the math in the budget game
- Got money questions? Ask Susan! With this free service, a team of certified counselors will personally respond to your money and credit questions - - takes you to the special MMI site for union members.
- Take control of your money and credit with the easy-to-use loan payment calculator service, financial questionnaires and other tools - takes you to the special MMI site for union members.
- Access more consumer credit counseling information here.
- Get your credit score.
- Consumer Credit Education 101
- Are you struggling with debt? Find debt management resources and tools to help at UnionDebtHelp.org
What organization provides the Union Plus Credit Counseling service?
The Union Plus Credit Counseling program is provided by Money Management International (MMI), the largest, full service, nonprofit credit counseling agency in the country.
What kinds of counseling services are included in the Union Plus Credit Counseling program?
MMI provides debt and budget counseling (typically referred to as a credit counseling session), delinquent mortgage counseling, and bankruptcy counseling.
How long will the counseling session last?
A typical credit counseling session is 45 to 60 minutes. A bankruptcy session takes about 45 minutes and mortgage delinquency session takes about 60 to 75 minutes.
What information do I need to have available before calling for a credit counseling session?
You will need information about your household income (recent paystubs are ideal), monthly expenses, mortgage debt, and credit card debt.
What is included in a credit counseling session?
During the credit counseling session, a HUD-certified MMI counselor will help you assess your finances and works with you to create a livable budget to balance your income with your expenses. The counselor will help you develop a plan of action that will assist you in achieving your personal financial goals.
What courses of action does the counselor typically offer?
All advice is based on your individual financial situation. The counselor will let you know if it appears that you can make your existing payments on your own. If not, the counselor will analyze other debt repayment options, such as a Debt Management Plan, to help you get back on track. The counselor may also discuss other options such as seeking legal advice to understand your options under existing bankruptcy laws.
How much does a credit counseling session cost?
There is no charge for the credit counseling session.
What is a Debt Management Plan (DMP)?
A DMP is a confidential program individually designed to provide you with a unique repayment solution for your financial situation. If you enroll in a DMP, MMI will act on your behalf to negotiate new repayment terms with your creditors. By negotiating terms such as lower interest rates and waived late fees, MMI can often provide you with more affordable payments and a shorter payoff period.
Is there a cost for the Debt Management Plan?
Yes, there is a monthly cost to manage the program. However, the set-up fee for a DMP will be waived. And, union members can receive a grant to reimburse the monthly DMP fees after 12 months of successful participation in the DMP.
Consumer credit counseling is currently available in the United States, but not available in Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, and Canada.
Who is eligible?
- Dues-paying labor union members of participating unions
- Retired labor union members
- Spouse, domestic partners, and children (age 18+) may be included. (Not eligible for monthly DMP fee rebate but will get the reduced set up fee.)
- Widows/widowers of union members
- Union Plus credit cardholders
- You can call the Union Plus Credit Counseling Service at 1-877-833-1745 - 24/7.
- Contact information on the Union Plus Money Management International (MMI) site
We realize that sometimes you may need help with a concern about using a Union Plus program. The Union Plus Member Advocacy Program, staffed by OPEIU Local 2 members, is here to help you resolve any problems. Contact us at 1-800-472-2005 (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET, weekdays) or online at UnionPlus.org/Customer.