What to Keep in the Trunk This Winter
You can never be too prepared. Take these precautions to make sure you're safe in an emergency during the winter.
Be prepared for any winter road emergency with these supplies.
Low temperatures and winter weather can create hazardous road conditions. Stay ready for whatever comes with this emergency kit:
For small vehicle repairs:
- Canned, compressed air with tire sealant
- Spare tire, vehicle jack, and lug wrench
- Tarp to kneel on
- Portable battery charger and booster cables
- Basic tools: a set of socket and open-end wrenches, a multi-tip screwdriver, and pliers
- Empty gas can
- Chains, rope, or tow strap
- Road salt, sand, or cat litter to help with wheel traction
For signaling help:
- Cell phone and charger
- Emergency flares
- Brightly colored flag or help signs
- Reflective hazard triangles
For staying warm:
- Extra winter clothing: boots, hats, coats and mittens
- Blankets: wool or fleece maintain insulation even when wet
- Sleeping bags
- Chemical heat packs
- Waterproof matches and candles
- Fire extinguisher
For your health and safety:
- Small water bottles
- Nonperishable, high-energy foods: protein bars, raisins, nuts, etc.
- Flashlights with extra batteries
- Basic sanitation supplies: toilet paper, baby wipes, plastic bags, etc.
- Multi-tool pocket knife
- First-aid kit
- Extra prescription medications for serious conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, asthma and allergies
- As you stock up, familiarize yourself with each item so you know how to use it. Also check your kit throughout the season — especially before long trips. Make sure everything works, and replace broken or expired items.
Union members are eligible for special savings on certain auto and home* insurance through SnapQuote® offered by MetLife Auto & Home®.
Union Plus Auto InsuranceLearn More
Home Insurance is not part of MetLife Auto & Home's benefit offering in MA & FL.
SnapQuote is used by MetLife GA Property & Casualty and other independent agencies and captive agents to provide consumers a broad choice of insurance providers. Coverage may be underwritten by unaffiliated carriers through MetLife Auto & Home Insurance Agency, Inc., with its principal place of business at 700 Quaker Lane,
Warwick, RI 02886, CA License #0D25399, AR License #100116171. Each insurer has sole financial responsibility for its own products.
MetLife Auto & Home is a brand of Metropolitan Property and Casualty Insurance Company and its affiliates, Warwick, RI.