Easter Pet Hazards
Easter decorations can be harmful to your pets if ingested. Keep your pets safe on Easter with these tips.
Many people enjoy the Easter decorations, baskets and gatherings that fill their homes with friends and family. If you have pets, it’s very important to keep them in mind as you prepare for the festivities! Plastic Easter eggs and grass, chocolate, lilies and several other holiday treats can be dangerous for pets if ingested.
Sharing Food and Treats with Pets
An Easter basket filled with treats is very tempting for some pets. Most pets are filled with curiosity and feel the need to investigate anything new in their environment. Your dog may eat the entire contents of a basket and have the hard pieces of a plastic egg break off and get lodged in their throat. Your cat may chew on plastic grass contained with the Easter basket and cause internal damage when accidentally ingesting.
Please make sure to keep Easter baskets out of the reach of your pets to prevent poisoning or a choking hazard. Children should make sure to keep the baskets in their rooms with the doors closed or parents should keep them up high out of reach.
Easter lilies are extremely toxic for cats. Ingestion of even a small portion of the plant can cause lethargy, vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, seizures and even death. It’s really best to avoid this plant altogether if you have a cat, since cats are natural climbers and will be able to access the Lily even if you put it up high.
Ways to Help Your Pet’s Allergies
If you do experience an emergency with your pet outside of your vet’s regular office hours, please contact the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 or your local emergency veterinary hospital or center.
If you are a current Pets Best policy holder, you can also utilize the 24/7 Vet Pet Helpline powered by WhiskerDocs. This service is included in all policies.