Free college for union members and their families
Earn your degree for free online. The Free College Benefit helps union families continue their college education without piling on thousands of dollars in student debt.
Fall semester starts August 16Get started
For students affected by the Coronavirus pandemic, additional financial aid options may be available to assist with education-related costs (living expenses, child care, etc). Call EGCC at 1-888-590-9009 to discuss your options.
The Union Plus Free College Benefit, brought to you in partnership with AFSCME, ensures that cost is not a barrier to you and your family pursuing a college education.
What is The Union Plus Free College Benefit?
In partnership with Eastern Gateway Community College (EGCC), the Union Plus Free College Benefit offers "last dollar scholarships" that fill the gap between any federal, state and employer education grants for tuition, fees, and e-books for certain online programs at Eastern Gateway. Please note: Only the Free College online degree and certificate programs listed below are eligible for these benefits.
Free College is possible thanks to the early support and enthusiasm of AFSCME, who entered into a collaboration with Eastern Gateway Community College in 2016. Since 2016, thousands of students have taken advantage of millions of dollars in Free College scholarships.
Earn an Associate Degree — completely online, for FREE! Even if you don’t qualify for student financial aid, the Union Plus Free College Benefit will be applied to your balance for tuition, fees and e-books.
Eastern Gateway Community College
Eastern Gateway Community College is a fully accredited, non-profit public institution that is part of the University System of Ohio. Students can enroll in the distance learning program from anywhere in the U.S. The program offers ten associate degrees and two certificate programs. Credits can be transferred to a four-year college.
- Associate of Arts
- Business Management — with optional certificate programs in: Advertising; Cyber Security; Data Science; Digital and Social Media; Entrepreneurship; Environmental and Conservation Studies; Finance; Hospitality: Food and Beverage Management or Hotel and Event Management; Human Resources; Information Systems/IT Help Desk; Labor Studies; Marketing; Programming and Development
- Criminal Justice
- Teacher Education (Associate of Arts)
- Healthcare Administration
- Health Services
- Individualized Study
- Professional Office Management
- Social Work
- Business Management – with an optional concentration in Accounting
- Patient Navigator
Classes Begin Every 8 Weeks
- Classes are online so they fit into your schedule
- Attend full time or take as little as one class per term
- Credits can transfer to other schools
- Advising and tutoring is available to support students
Unions also offer their own free college benefit programs
Your questions, answered.
If you have additional questions, please start by reading the Union Plus Free College Benefit FAQs.
To request support by phone, call Customer Support at 888-590-9009
(Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET).
Look what people are saying
I love the flexibility and the fast track of the program. It has worked very well with my schedule.
Chelsea T. IUPAT Member
College is so expensive. I recommend this to all union members I meet. Your family can go to school, and it’s huge.
Sarah C. AFT Member
Ready to apply?
Your dream of earning a degree can become a reality. Just click the button below to get started on a free college education now.Get started