Get free help with your medical bills
Are you having trouble paying doctor and hospital bills? The Union Plus Medical Bill Negotiating Service provides union members and their families with assistance negotiating medical bills.
How medical bill negotiating helps union members
The Union Plus Medical Bill Negotiating Service by Health Advocate provides union members with FREE assistance negotiating large out-of-pocket medical bills, bill reductions with physicians, hospitals and other medical providers. The Service negotiates with medical providers on the union member's behalf to lower costs and establish payment plans.
- You must be a union member or union retiree.
- You must have at least one outstanding unreimbursed medical expense of $400 or more from a single medical provider. But there's no limit on the number of medical providers with which the service will negotiate.
Eligible Medical Expenses
- When you calculate your unreimbursed medical expenses, you may include expenses incurred from physicians, dentists, hospitals, surgery centers, diagnostic service providers — any medical provider. The Service attempts to negotiate any medical or dental bill regardless of insurance benefit status, including insured, underinsured, non-covered and out-of-network claims.
- Do not include expenses that were covered by your (or your spouse/dependent's) health insurance. Health Advocate may not be able to fee negotiate on money that was applied towards a deductible, coinsurance or co-pay. Deductibles, coinsurance, and co-pays are the member's contracted obligation with the insurance carrier.
- Unreimbursed expenses must be at least $400 for each medical provider.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application form.
- Print your confirmation email, sign and mail to:
ATTN: Union Plus Medical Bill Negotiating Service
c/o Union Plus
1100 1st Street NE, Suite 850
Washington, DC 20002
- Please allow 4-5 weeks for application processing.
- When your application is approved you will be notified by email and postal mail. You will be advised to contact the medical negotiation service provider directly. You should be prepared to provide them with documentation of your unreimbursed medical expenses of at least $400 per medical provider, copies of medical bills, or insurance Explanation of Benefits (EOB) forms.
Important Note: Do NOT mail copies of your medical bills with your application.
If you have additional questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready to apply?
If you're struggling to pay your medical bills, get free assistance now. Click the button below to complete the medical bill negotiating service form.Apply now
Look what people are saying
I didn't realize this union benefit existed, but I'm so glad it does. It put me in a much better position to pay off my medical bills.
Angela N. AFT/AFSCME, Local 300
The assistance we received certainly helped us deal with the realities of the situation.
Thomas O. IAFF Local 90
What I’m so impressed by is the fact that Union Plus is providing benefits for and actually caring about hard-working Americans.
Meesha T. AFT Member