Strike Grant for Credit Cardholders
$500 payment to Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholders who've been on union-sanctioned strike or lockout and meet the requirements below.
- You must be a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder in good standing on the date the strike or lockout began.
- The strike or lockout must have occurred at least three months after you became a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder.
- You must complete the required application and demonstrate that you, the joint-owner, or authorized user of your Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card account have been unemployed due to a union-sanctioned strike or lockout for a minimum of 14 consecutive days within the 24 month period prior to the date that you submit an application for a Strike Grant — and that the strike loss occurred at least three months after you became a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder.
- You must provide documentation of the date the unemployment commenced due to a union-sanctioned strike or lockout, and proof that the duration of the strike or lockout was at least 14 consecutive days.
- You may only receive three Strike Grants under the CAP for each Union Plus or Teamster Privilege Credit Card account per your lifetime, but no more than one Strike Grant per year. If you have multiple Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card accounts, you can only receive one Strike Grant for any unique union-sanctioned strike or lockout.
How to Apply
- Collect and copy the required documentation:
- Letter from your local union acknowledging a union-sanctioned strike or a lockout lasting 14 days or more within the last 24 months.
- Complete the online application form (you'll be prompted to create an account, or login to an existing account prior to completing the application).
- Submit your documentation through one of the following channels:
- Upload documents through our website via the My Forms section of your profile (recommended).
- Email your application and documents to email@example.com.
- Fax your application and document to our secure fax line at 866-481-5568.
However, if you are unable to use one of those means of getting your application to us, please mail all required documentation to:
Union Plus Strike Grant
1100 First St. NE, Suite 850
Washington, DC 20002
- Please allow 6-8 weeks for application processing. You will be notified by mail when your application has been approved or denied.
- If approved for the grant, payment will be made by check and mailed directly to you.
- Please do not send originals. Documents will not be returned to you.
- All documents should be copied onto 8.5" x 11" paper.
- Only copy/print one side of paper.
- Please do not use staples or fasteners.
Please note: Failure to comply with these instructions will result in significantly delayed processing time.
Grants may be considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service. Grants valued at $600 or more may be considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service. Therefore, approved recipients receiving grants of $600 or more in a calendar year will receive an IRS Form 1099-MISC in January of the following year. If the documentation you submitted does not contain your social security number, we will contact you to complete an IRS W-9 form. This document must be returned to our office before we will release a grant payment exceeding $600. Please keep your eye on your email inbox for this important request.
These hardship assistance grants are provided and administered through the AFL-CIO Mutual Benefit Plan (“The Plan”). Certain administrative responsibilities for the Plan have been delegated to Union Privilege. Union Privilege is the non-profit organization established to create and oversee member benefit programs for working families. Grants may not be offered in every state. Coverage may be underwritten and managed by companies that are not affiliated with Mastercard or Capital One, N.A.
The Union Plus Credit Cards and Teamster Privilege Credit Cards are issued by Capital One, N.A. pursuant to a license from Mastercard International Incorporated. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.