Mortgage Assistance Loan and Strike Grant Benefits
Information for members currently affected by
the ongoing entertainment industry strikes
Members of unions not currently on strike, but who are experiencing lack of employment due to the Writers’ Guild and SAG-AFTRA strikes are eligible to apply for the Union Plus Strike Grant. Please contact your local union office to obtain a letter necessary to obtain this grant. Letters should be issued on the local’s letterhead, dated, and personalized for the applicant. The letter should indicate that the applicant is a member in good standing with the local and is currently experiencing a lack of employment due to the current actions. This requirement is necessary even if you do not obtain jobs directly through your local union office. Many of your locals are already familiar with and have been supplying these letters for your fellow sisters and brothers.
Up to six (6) monthly mortgage payments may be sent to the servicer of your Union Plus mortgage loan if you are participating in a union-approved strike or are locked out and meet the requirements below.
- You must have been a Union Plus Mortgage-holder for at least twelve (12) consecutive months
- You must complete the required application and demonstrate you have been unemployed due to a union-approved strike or lockout. The strike or lockout must have been in effect for a minimum of 30 consecutive days within the twelve (12) month period prior to the date that you submit a claim for the grant
- You must provide documentation of the date the strike or lockout started and proof the strike or lock-out has been in effect at least thirty (30) consecutive days.
How to Apply
- Visit the Mortgage Assistance page for eligibility and requirements and collect the below required documentation:
- A fully completed Strike/Lockout Verification Form that will print along with the on-line application form, or
- A letter from your local union confirming the following: 1) Date the strike or lockout started; 2) The business involved in the strike or lockout; 3) You are an active, dues paying member and are participating in the strike
- A copy of your most recent mortgage loan statement showing the complete loan number, borrower’s name(s), property address, monthly payment and month(s) due.
- Complete the online application form.
- Print your confirmation, email and sign anywhere on the page that includes your application information and submit to Union Plus for review.
We encourage you to fax in your application and supporting documents fax them to our secure fax line at: 1-866-481-5568 – Attn: MAP Strike Grants.
If you are unable to use either of those means of getting your application to us, please mail all required documentation to:
Union Plus-MAP Strike Grants
1100 First St. NE, Suite 850
Washington, DC 20002
Please note: Due to the current staffing conditions caused by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, applications mailed to our office may see a significant delay in processing time. For this reason, we encourage you to fax us your paperwork.
Please allow 2-3 weeks for application processing. You will be notified of the decision on your claim by mail or E-mail
- Please do not send originals. Documents will not be returned to you.
- All documents should be copied onto 8.5" x 11" paper and must be clear and easily read.
- Only copy/print one side of paper.
- Please do not use staples or fasteners.
Please note: Failure to follow with these instructions will result in significantly delayed processing time.
Please call 1-800-472-2005 and leave a detailed message for a return call.