If you've had a Union Plus home mortgage for a year or more -- you're protected
The Union Plus Mortgage Assistance Program
Are you concerned about missing a house payment because you're disabled, laid off, locked out or on strike?
If you've had a Union Plus home mortgage for a year or more, you're protected with our unique mortgage assistance program administered through the AFL-CIO Mutual Benefit Plan. Read the Plan's Eligibility and Benefits.
Union Plus Mortgage Assistance provides interest-free loans and grants to help make mortgage payments when you're disabled, unemployed, locked out or on strike. If you qualify for the Mortgage Assistance loan benefit, you’ll also receive a one-time grant of $1,000 paid directly to you. The program has provided over $11.2 million in assistance to union members.
- You must have a Union Plus mortgage for at least one (1) year.
- You or your eligible cosigner are out of work due to a union-approved strike, lockout, involuntary unemployment, or disability;
- Your income or the eligible cosigner's income is reduced by an amount equal to at least 50% of the monthly mortgage payment;
- The income loss occurred within one (1) year of your application.
Documentation verifying your union membership, out-of-work status and related income loss is required at the time you apply for benefits.
Apply for Mortgage Assistance
A working printer to print out forms after you've completed the application.
An email address, so we can contact you about your application
- Your most recent Union Plus mortgage statement must be included with your printed application
- The name of your union and the local number
- Your monthly gross (before-tax) income when you're working a full-time schedule
- Your monthly gross (before-tax) unemployment or disability benefits (sickness & accident, worker's compensation, etc.)
- The last day you worked
*If you're unable to apply online and need an application mailed to you, please call 800-472-2005 to request one by mail. To expedite your request please be sure to leave a detailed message, including your full name, full mailing address and phone number. Please slowly and clearly spell out your name, your street and city names.