Benefits of Union Membership
Union members - workers like you -- benefit from the union's collective bargaining power to negotiate with employers on their behalf. This basic right gives you as a union member more power than if you tried to negotiate as an individual. There is strength in numbers.
More benefits of union membership
- Union employees make an average of 30% more than non-union workers.
- 92% of union workers have job-related health coverage versus 68% of non-union workers.
- Union workers are more likely to have guaranteed pensions than non-union employees.
Unions help protect employees from unjust dismissal through collective bargaining agreements (CBA). Because of this, most union employees cannot be fired without "just cause." This is unlike many nonunion workers who are considered "at-will" employees and can be fired at any time for almost any reason.
Union members also benefit from having the collective power to go on strike. A strike is when a group of workers stops working either in protest of labor conditions or as a bargaining tool during labor/management negotiations.
Straight Talk from a Fellow Worker
I knew I had to try to get a stable job with good benefits. I was a single mother on welfare with two young children. I knew from growing up in a union household that a union job would be the way to a secure life - and it was. Union benefits have always helped me when I needed it most.
- Linda Hays, UAW Local 1519
Unions are good for America and all Americans
Unions are associated with higher productivity, lower employee turnover, improved workplace communication, and a better-trained workforce.
There is a substantial amount of academic literature on the following benefits of unions and unionization to employers and the economy:
- Economic growth
- Product or service delivery and quality
- Solvency of the firm
- Workplace health and safety
- Economic development
With unions, more low-wage workers can get out of poverty and there's a stronger middle class.
Union members can take advantage of more consumer benefits
Union members are automatically eligible for their union's Union Plus benefits and discounts. These include access to:
- Uniquely-union financial services - including the Union Plus Credit Card that over 1 million members carry
- Everyday savings such as the AT&T 15% wireless discount.
- Health-related discounts
- Legal services
- Scholarships & education services
- Travel deals
- Special assistance for eligible union members facing financial hardship due to layoffs, disability, strikes, etc.
Anyone can join Working America and in solidarity with working people across the country, fight for our common interests - good jobs, affordable health care, education, retirement security, corporate accountability and real democracy. Not only is Working America a great way to speak up, you also get money-saving discounts.