The Union Plus Job Loss and Furlough Grants Can Help if You're Laid Off or Furloughed
In response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the qualification period for Job Loss and Furlough Grants has been reduced from 90 days to 45 days through March 1, 2021. Please see below for additional details.
$300 payment to Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholders who have been laid off or furloughed and meet the requirements below.
- You must be a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder in good standing on your last day of work prior to involuntarily job loss or furlough.
- The job loss or furlough must have occurred at least three (3) months after you became a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder.
- You must complete the required application and provide documentation that you or a joint-owner or authorized user of your Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card account have been continuously unemployed due to an involuntary job loss, furlough, or layoff (other than a strike or lockout) for at least 90 consecutive days within the 12-month period prior to the date you submit an application.
You cannot receive a Furlough Grant and a Job Loss Grant for the same period of unemployment.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, layoffs, furloughs, and involuntary job losses that occur between March 1, 2020 and March 1, 2021 are subject to the same requirements with the exception that, during this period of time, the consecutive day requirement is reduced from 90 days to 45 days.
- You may only receive one Job Loss Grant or Furlough Grant for any one Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card account. If you have multiple Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card accounts, you can only receive one Job Loss Grant or Furlough Grant for any unique job loss or furlough event.
How to ApplY
- Collect and copy the required documentation:
- Proof of the date of your job loss or furlough, showing it occurred within the last twelve months prior to your date of application.
- Proof that shows at least 90 days of continuous unemployment, but not more than 1 year.
Note: Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic the consecutive day requirement, for layoffs, furloughs, and involuntary job losses that occur between March 1, 2020 and March 1, 2021, is reduced from 90 days to 45 days.
- Complete the online application form.
- Print your confirmation email and sign anywhere on the page that includes your application information.
- We encourage you to email in your application and documents if you are able to at email@example.com or you may also fax them to our secure fax line at 866-481-5568.
However, if you are unable to use either of those means of getting your application to us, please mail all required documentation to:
Union Plus Job Loss Grant
1100 First St. NE, Suite 850
Washington, DC 20002
Please note: Due to current staffing conditions caused by the 2020 coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, mailed applications will be significantly delayed and could result in processing that is twice the normal turnaround. For this reason, we strongly encourage you to find a way to submit your paperwork digitally.
- Please allow 6-8 weeks for application processing. You will be notified by mail when your application has been approved or denied.
- If approved for the grant, payment will be made by check and mailed directly to you.
- Please do not send originals. Documents will not be returned to you.
- All documents should be copied onto 8.5" x 11" paper.
- Only copy/print one side of paper.
- Please do not use staples or fasteners.
Please note: Failure to comply with these instructions will result in significantly delayed processing time.
Grants may be considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service. Therefore, a Form 1099-MISC tax reporting form, which will require your social security number, will be issued to each recipient of grants valued at $600 or more. If the required documentation you submitted does not contain this information, we will contact you to complete a W-9 form. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for this important request.
These hardship assistance grants are provided and administered through the AFL-CIO Mutual Benefit Plan (“The Plan”). Certain administrative responsibilities for the Plan have been delegated to Union Privilege. Union Privilege is the non-profit organization established to create and oversee member benefit programs for working families. Grants may not be offered in every state.
The Union Plus Credit Cards and Teamster Privilege Credit Cards are issued by Capital One, N.A. pursuant to a license from Mastercard International Incorporated. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.