The Union Plus Job Loss and Furlough Grants Can Help If You're Laid Off or Furloughed
$500 payment to Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholders who have been laid off or furloughed and meet the requirements below.
- You must be a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder in good standing on your last day of work prior to involuntarily job loss or furlough.
- The job loss or furlough must have occurred at least three (3) months after you became a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder.
- You must complete the required application and provide documentation that you or a joint-owner or authorized user of your Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card account have been continuously unemployed due to an involuntary job loss, furlough, or layoff (other than a strike or lockout) for at least 45 consecutive days within the 24-month period prior to the date you submit an application.
You cannot receive a Furlough Grant and a Job Loss Grant for the same period of unemployment.
- You may only receive three Job Loss Grants or Furlough Grants under the CAP for each Union Plus or Teamster Privilege Credit Card account per your lifetime, but no more than one Job Loss Grant or Furlough Grant per year. If you have multiple Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card accounts, you can only receive one Job Loss Grant or Furlough Grant for any unique job loss or furlough event.
How to ApplY
- Collect and copy the required documentation:
- Proof of the date of your job loss or furlough, showing it occurred within the last 24 months prior to your date of application.
- Proof that shows at least 45 days of continuous unemployment.
- Complete the online application form (you'll be prompted to create an account, or login to an existing account prior to completing the application).
- Submit your documentation through one of the following channels:
- Upload documents through our website via the My Forms section of your profile (recommended).
- Email your application and documents to email@example.com.
- Fax your application and document to our secure fax line at 866-481-5568.
However, if you are unable to use one of those means of getting your application to us, please mail all required documentation to:
Union Plus Job Loss Grant
1100 First St. NE, Suite 850
Washington, DC 20002
- Please allow 6-8 weeks for application processing. You will be notified by mail when your application has been approved or denied.
- If approved for the grant, payment will be made by check and mailed directly to you.
- Please do not send originals. Documents will not be returned to you.
- All documents should be copied onto 8.5" x 11" paper.
- Only copy/print one side of paper.
- Please do not use staples or fasteners.
Please note: Failure to comply with these instructions will result in significantly delayed processing time.
Grants may be considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service. Therefore, approved recipients receiving grants of $600 or more in a calendar year will receive an IRS Form 1099-MISC in January of the following year. If the documentation you submitted does not contain your social security number, we will contact you to complete an IRS W-9 form. This document must be returned to our office before we will release a grant payment exceeding $600. Please keep your eye on your email inbox for this important request.
These hardship assistance grants are provided and administered through the AFL-CIO Mutual Benefit Plan (“The Plan”). Certain administrative responsibilities for the Plan have been delegated to Union Privilege. Union Privilege is the non-profit organization established to create and oversee member benefit programs for working families. Grants may not be offered in every state.
The Union Plus Credit Cards and Teamster Privilege Credit Cards are issued by Capital One, N.A. pursuant to a license from Mastercard International Incorporated. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.