Union Plus
Consumer Tips

Emergency: How to Deal with a Fire in the Kitchen

Cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries. Learn how to suppress the flames and enjoy your dinner.

Keeping an eye on what you’re cooking is important when preparing everything from weekday dinners to holiday meals. “Cooking fires — particularly those caused by unattended cooking — are the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries, so it’s really important to pay attention,” says Lorraine Carli, spokesperson for the National Fire Protection Association.

A simple grease fire can escalate quickly, spreading to surrounding cabinets and other combustible materials and engulfing the kitchen or the entire house. Help protect your home, your loved ones and your belongings with these tips for putting out a grease fire:

  • Never use water to extinguish a grease or oil fire. Instead, use a multipurpose fire extinguisher.
  • If grease or cooking oil catches fire, immediately slide a lid over the pan to smother the flame, Carli says. Be sure to wear an oven mitt when handling the pan.
  • Next, turn off the heat and slide the pan off the burner. Keep the pan covered until the contents cool to prevent the fire from restarting.
  • If the pan overflows and the contents ignite, get everyone out of the house and call the fire department once you’re safely outside.

L0915436452[exp0917][All States][DC]

Reposted from the MetLife yourLife website.