How to Sell Your Home on a Budget
With a little effort, you can minimize your expenses when selling your home. Spruce up your home with these tips and get more for it.
It’s always nice to actually make money when selling your home, but some of us aren’t always in that position. Here are some cheap and easy tips for how you can spruce up your home and get top dollar at the closing table.
Do Some Yard Work, First Impressions Count
- Keep the lawn mowed, preferably on the diagonal
- The color yellow sells – plant yellow flowers such as marigolds along the walkway or by the front door
- Wash the exterior windows
- Paint or replace the front door and buy new hardware
- Power spray the house to get rid of dirt and cobwebs
- Buy a new welcome mat for the front steps
- Paint or replace the mailbox
- Remove all personal photographs from the tables and walls. Patch holes in the walls or hang non-personalized artwork over the existing nails
- Pack up your bookcase (you’re going to move anyway)
- Clean out the closets and store non-essential items
Clean, Clean, Clean…Your Kitchen
- If new granite is out of your budget, consider either re-grouting the kitchen counter tiles, which is surprisingly cost effective, or covering them with granite tiles instead of granite slab
- For wood cabinets, stripping the finish and re-staining or painting will save you more money than re-surfacing the cabinets
- Buy new knobs and/or pulls for the cabinet doors
- Replace a worn kitchen faucet
- Buy a new kitchen sink basket strainers
- Consider installing kitchen pendant lights over the sink
With these quick and budget-friendly tips, you’ll be on your way to maximizing the value of your home and one step closer to the closing table.
If you’re considering a home purchase or sale, work with a SIRVA-preferred real estate agent and earn cash back after closing*. Contact us today at 800-284-9756.
Real Estate Rewards
Earn Cash Back on Your Home Sale or PurchaseFind a Participating Real Estate Agent
*To qualify for cash back rewards (in cash back states), you must use a SIRVA-referred real estate agent. Program designed as a referral service to provide you the opportunity to select a real estate agent to meet your needs. You must evaluate the brokers, agents and their services and make selections and decisions based upon your best judgment, interest, priorities and concerns. Call 800-284-9756 or visit www.up-RealEstateRewards.com for important program details and state restrictions. Union Plus makes member feedback available. Union Plus does not endorse any User Content, or any opinion, recommendation, or advice expressed herein.
SIRVA is an independent provider of services. Union Plus is not affiliated with SIRVA and does not manage SIRVA or its programs. SIRVA is paying Union Plus for advertising services including dissemination of information about SIRVA and its programs to participating unions and their members as well as participation in Union Plus events and programs. No referral, recommendation, service representation or exclusivity requirement is intended by the Union Plus's mention or dissemination of the SIRVA name and delivery of this information to participating union members.