Use these simple tips from Pets Best, provider of the Union Plus Pet Insurance Program, for better pics of your furry family member.
Use natural light when possible
- Avoid using a flash when photographing your pet. Bright flashes may frighten some animals and the flash could result in unsightly “red-eyes.”
- Use indirect natural light whenever possible. With four-legged subjects, it may not always be easy to position your subject, so you may have to move to get the best light.
- Aim for a mid-morning or late afternoon shoot when the light is naturally golden and filtered. If you are shooting indoors, try to avoid strong direct light, and make sure the lighting is even, unless you are trying for a dramatic shoot with specific lighting.
Make sure your pet is comfortable
- If you are going to dress your pet in an outfit, have your pet try it on before the actual photo shoot to make sure it fits properly and is comfortable.
- Give your curious cat or canine time to get used to their surroundings including the photography equipment and setting.
- Make sure your pet is not thirsty or hungry and has had a chance to exercise beforehand.
- Provide reassurance and praise, stay positive and have fun because your good attitude will set the best environment for your pet.
Be patient and take lots of photos
- Keep it fun and try different poses like getting on the floor to take photos eye-to-eye instead of always from above.
- Keep your pets undivided attention by holding a favorite toy or treat (like a piece of cheese, so you can literally tell your pet to “say cheese) just above the camera so your pet will be looking right at the lens.
- Try making an unusual noise to get your pet’s attention and make them look up because calling your pet’s name may be confusing and they’ll come to you instead.
- Take posed photos but don’t forget to let your pet act naturally and capture lots of candid shots that capture your pet’s personality.
Pet Health Insurance
Keeping your pet in picture perfect health is no easy financial feat. Pets Best offers a wide range of pet insurance plans to help you afford the best care for your four-legged family member!Get a quote today
This is an adaptation of the original article published by Pets Best Insurance Services, LLC.
Pet insurance coverage is offered and administered by Pets Best Insurance Services, LLC and is underwritten by American Pet Insurance Company, a New York insurance company. Please visit www.americanpetinsurance.com to review all available pet health insurance products.
Terms and conditions apply. See policy for details.