Nine Holiday Travel Tips to Stay Healthy
Here are nine tips to help keep you (and others) healthy as you travel by train, plane or car.
- Don’t travel if you are experiencing any sign of illness.
- Get your flu shot at least two weeks before you leave.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and often.
- Stay hydrated. Drink more water and less caffeine.
- If you're traveling by air, pack a small (TSA-approved size) bottle of hand sanitizer in your carry-on luggage. Use it once you're settled in your seat and again after you leave the plane. If you're traveling by car, keep a bottle in your glove box or door pocket and use it.
- Take precautions when using public lavatories.
- Pay attention to symptoms of nearby travelers. Try to keep your distance and avoid contact with anything they might touch.
- Don’t share food or drinks.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a scarf or tissue if someone near you sneezes or coughs in your direction. Discard used tissues right away, then wash or sanitize your hands carefully.