Spring is just around the corner, and while we're all happy for the weather to warm up, the change in season often brings unpredictable weather patterns and severe weather. These simple tips can help you stay safer on the road.
Be prepared for these five conditions:
The key is to take it slowly; this means avoiding the highway, if you can. Driving slowly gives you more time to react to other drivers, and vice versa.
- Use your low-beam headlights — high beams simply reflect the fog, making it difficult to see lane dividers and shoulders.
- Keep your windows open. This helps you hear other drivers you might not see.
Over half of flood-related deaths occur when cars are driven into floodwaters. Floodwaters move quickly, and drivers often underestimate the current's force. If you approach a flooded roadway, the safest choice is to find an alternate route.
Avoid stopping on the side of the road or beneath an overpass, which can contribute to dangerous traffic jams.
- Pull into the first parking lot you see.
- Stay in your car but move toward the center of the vehicle in case the hail shatters a window.
- Take cover under a blanket or coat.
Often accompanying thunderstorms, straight-line winds equate with tornadoes in strength.
- Leaving your car might not be an option. Instead, keep both hands on the wheel and pull over to a low-lying area.
- Turn on your hazard lights and wait for the wind to subside.
Don't try to outrun the storm. Tornadoes move quickly and can change directions unexpectedly.
- Exit your vehicle and seek shelter. Head straight for the basement or a bathroom of a nearby building. If no buildings are nearby, look for treeless, low-lying land. Crouch and cover your head as you wait for the storm to pass.
Don't Forget — Keep Your Car Ready
It's always good to be prepared. Store basic first aid supplies in your car in case of injury. Keep a blanket on hand so it can shield you from shattered glass and falling debris. If the forecast looks grim and you can't stay home, make sure your phone is charged and someone is aware of your travel plans.
These tips were brought to you by Union Plus Auto and Home Insurance. Drivers have saved an average of 23%* a year on their auto insurance when they switched to MetLife Auto & Home®.
Call 855-666-5797 and mention your discount code: DJ7.
Easily compare and save with multiple quotes from highly rated carriers!GET YOUR PERSONALIZED QUOTES TODAY
*Savings are based on our 2019 countrywide research of new call center customers' annual average savings on auto insurance in 2018. Statistics do not reflect sales of the product sold on MetLife Auto &Home MyDirect® or products of other insurance companies.
MetLife Auto & Home is a brand of Metropolitan Property and Casualty Insurance Company and its affiliates: Economy Fire & Casualty Company, Economy Premier Assurance Company, Economy Preferred Insurance Company, Metropolitan Casualty Insurance Company, Metropolitan Direct Property and Casualty Insurance Company, Metropolitan General Insurance Company, Metropolitan Group Property and Casualty Insurance Company, and Metropolitan Lloyds Insurance Company of Texas, all with administrative home offices at 700 Quaker Lane, Warwick, RI 02886. Coverage, rates, discounts, and policy features vary by state and product, and are available in most states to those who qualify. Policies have exclusions, limitations, and terms under which the policy may be continued in force or discontinued. For costs and complete details of coverage, contact your local MetLife Auto & Home representative or the company.