Union-Made Backyard BBQ
Fire up the grill for summer! We’ve got a line up of the best union-made/packaged hot dogs, beef, beer, grilling tools AND RECIPES to make your next BBQ the best ever! No backyard? No problem! Set up the grill on your patio, balcony, courtyard or driveway! Happy grilling!
Union-Made Grilling Recipes
|Armour||John Morrell All Beef Hot Dogs|
|Ball Park||Luther's Hot Dogs|
|Boar’s Head||Oscar Meyer|
|Brummel & Brown||Poultry, Inc.|
|Conti's Texas Brand||Snappy's|
|Country Crock||Sugardale Foods|
|Disney Beef Frank||Swift|
Chicago-Style Hot Dogs
It’s not a barbeque without hot dogs! Of course ketchup, mustard and relish are the classics, but maybe mix it up with this fully-loaded Chicago-Style Hot Dog recipe from Martha Stewart.
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper (Colonial, Diamond Crystal, Monarch, Morton, Nifda, Red & White, Sterling, Sysco)
- 1/4 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Kirby cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 1 tomato, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced (Sunripe)
- 1/2 cup celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped sport pepper or peperoncini
- 4 beef hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns, grilled (Arnold, Earthgrains, Nature’s Harvest, Oroweat, Stroehmann, Sara Lee)
- 4 pickle spears (Anchor’s, Bicks, Cisco, Moore’s, Pickles in a Bag, Red Brand, Vlasic)
- Relish (Claussen, Vlasic)
In a medium bowl, whisk together mustard and white-wine vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Add sweet onion, cucumber, tomato, celery leaves, and sport pepper; toss to combine. Grill hot dogs over medium-high heat until charred and heated through, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve hot dogs in grilled hot dog buns and top each with a pickle spear and relish.
|Better Beef||Farmland Foods|
|Beef Products, Inc.||Holten Meat Company|
Try Ree Drummond’s simple and delicious Grilled Burger’s recipe. You only need a handful of ingredients and a hot grill to make these juicy burgers.
- Vegetable oil, for the grill (Best O’ Veg, Dairy Fresh, Great Value, Western Family)
- 3 pounds 80 percent lean ground beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (Colonial, Diamond Crystal, Monarch, Morton, Nifda, Red & White, Sterling, Sysco)
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 6 Kaiser rolls (Arnold, Earthgrains, Nature’s Harvest, Oroweat, Stroehmann, Sara Lee)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (Dairy Fresh, Hiland Dairy, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, Land O’ Lakes Butter, Prairie Farms)
Preheat a grill to medium high and oil the grates. Place the ground beef in a medium mixing bowl. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Add a few dashes of Tabasco sauce, then with your hands, mix the meat and seasoning well. Form the meat into six 1-inch-thick patties and place on the grill. Cover and cook 3 minutes, then rotate, leaving them on the same side, and cook 3 more minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side. Meanwhile, slice the rolls in half and spread each cut side with 1/2 tablespoon butter. Grill the rolls, cut-side down, until lightly toasted. Build the burgers with assorted toppings.
Sandra Lee’s Portobello Burgers recipe is veggie-friendly and super satisfying. The portobello mushrooms and veggies are great on the grill!
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stems on (Monterey Mushrooms, Del Fresh)
- 2 teaspoons grill seasoning (Watkins)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (Albertson’s, America’s Choice, Pop All Canola, Weis, Western Family)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar (Hiland Dairy)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted (Arnold, Earthgrains, Nature’s Harvest, Oroweat, Stroehmann, Sara Lee)
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce (Amaral Ranches, Andy Boy)
- 1 tomato, sliced (Sunripe)
Rub the mushroom caps with a damp cloth to clean. Remove stems and reserve for Round 2 recipe "Stuffed Zucchini". In a small bowl combine the grill seasoning, oil, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar. Brush over the mushrooms making sure to coat completely. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the marinade for the aioli. Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill on medium heat.
Put the mushrooms, gill side down, onto the grill and grill about 4 to 5 minutes on each side. After you flip the mushrooms top each with 2 tablespoons of Cheddar. While the mushrooms are grilling, make the aioli sauce by combining the remaining 2 tablespoons of the marinade with the mayonnaise in a small bowl. Spread each hamburger bun with aioli sauce. Remove mushrooms from the grill and serve on the toasted buns with lettuce and tomato slices.
Before you fire up the grill, stock the cooler up with light beers and summer ales. Pair your grilled burgers and hot dogs with these union-made beers.
There’s nothing more refreshing that a cold soda on a hot summer day. Check out this list of union-made sodas.
|A&W Root Beer||Orange Crush|
|Coca Cola||RC Cola|
Union-Made BBQ Supplies
Do you have the essentials for your BBQ party? Check out this list of union-made BBQ supplies.
|Durex Maverick Barbeque Tools||Solo cups, plates, and bowls|
|Igloo Cooler||Thermador Grills|
|Rubbermaid coolers||Weber Grills (Genesis, Summit and Q Series)|
This information comes from the AFL-CIO website and the IBEW, Local One, Directory for Union-Made Goods and Services.