Working America Health Care
Learn More About Your Health Care Options!
Working America Health Care offers a simple way for union members without collectively bargained health care benefits coverage to learn about health care options, costs, and to connect to recommended licensed professionals that can help you and your family sign up for insurance.
If you are NOT a union member and need health care benefits, you can also use the Working America Health Care program. Your first step is to sign up for FREE to become Working America member. Working America, the community affiliate of the AFL-CIO, fights for good jobs and a fair economy that benefits working families.
When & how can you sign up for health benefits?
Outside of the next open enrollment period (November 1, 2015 – January 31, 2016), you may be eligible for a Special Enrollment Period to apply for health care coverage and get financial help in the form of tax credits and subsidies to pay for coverage. In order to be eligible for a special enrollment period, you must enroll within 60 days of a qualifying event.
Qualifying events that trigger a Special Enrollment Period include but are not limited to the following:
- Permanently moved or relocated outside of your plan’s coverage area
- Got married
- Had a baby, adopted or placed a child up for adoption or foster care
- Lost health coverage — e.g. due to a job loss*, divorce, loss of eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP, expiration of COBRA coverage, or a health plan being de-certified
After you enroll in a qualified health plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace viaWorking America Health Care as a union or Working America member, you’ll also receive a complementary Health Advocate service** which can help you negotiate and understand medical bills, coverage, claims and benefits.
Get help with Working America Health Care today! Recommended licensed professionals can:
- Clarify your options,
- Explain financial assistance through tax credits and subsidies, and
- Recommend available plans that are best for you and your family.
Visit WorkingAmericaHealthCare.org or call 1-855-698-2479.
* Note that if you’re offered COBRA, you may consider coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace via Working America Health Care as a less expensive option prior to subscribing to COBRA.
** Eligibility for this service is based on your union or Working America membership and your enrollment in a qualified health plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace via Working America Health Care.