$1,600 - $2,700 payment to eligible Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholders who within the past 12 months have been unemployed for at least 90 days and lost 25% or more of their monthly income, due to an illness or disability and meet the requirements below.
If you qualify, you will be paid a Disability Grant in the amount of 60% of the demonstrated average monthly disability income loss, up to a maximum grant of $2,700. The minimum grant amount is $1,600. All grants will be rounded to the nearest $100.
- You must be a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder in good standing on the date of disability.
- The disability must have occurred at least (3) months after you became a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder for at least three (3) consecutive months.
- You must complete the required application below and provide documentation that you or a joint-owner or authorized user of your Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card account:
- Has been unemployed for at least 90 consecutive days within the 12-month period prior to the date that you submit an application for a Disability Grant
- Has, within the 12 months prior to your application for a Disability Grant, lost 25% or more of your monthly income for a minimum of 90 consecutive days (the "disability income loss") and
- That the illness or disability that caused the period of unemployment occurred at least 3 months after you became a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder.
- You must provide proof of the disability income loss for the period of illness or disability, proof of the date of illness or disability, and proof of income before and after the date of illness or disability.
- You may only receive one Disability Grant for any one Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card account. If you have multiple Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card accounts, you can only receive one Disability Grant for any unique illness or disability event.
How to Apply
- Collect and copy the required documentation:
- Pay stubs showing income for two full pay periods prior to date of disability (or W2 form from last year)
- Proof of disability such as evidence of disability income, physician's statements or work status reports
- Proof of disability income you are receiving now; or documentation that you are on leave without pay
- Complete the online application form.
- Print your confirmation email and sign anywhere on the page that includes your application information.
- We encourage you to email in your application and documents if you are able to at email@example.com or you may also fax them to our secure fax line at 866-481-5568.
However, if you are unable to use either of those means of getting your application to us, please mail all required documentation to:
Union Plus Disability Grant
1100 First St. NE, Suite 850
Washington, DC 20002
Please note: Due to the current staffing conditions caused by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, applications mailed to our office may see a significant delay in processing time. For this reason, we strongly encourage the digital submission of paperwork.
- Please allow 6-8 weeks for application processing. You will be notified by mail when your application has been approved or denied.
- If approved for the grant, payment will be made by check and mailed directly to you.
- Please do not send originals. Documents will not be returned to you.
- All documents should be copied onto 8.5" x 11" paper.
- Only copy/print one side of paper.
- Please do not use staples or fasteners.
Please note: Failure to comply with these instructions will result in significantly delayed processing time.
Grants may be considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service. Therefore, a Form 1099-MISC tax reporting form, which will require your social security number, will be issued to each recipient of grants valued at $600 or more. If the required documentation you submitted does not contain this information, we will contact you to complete a W-9 form. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for this important request.
These hardship assistance grants are provided and administered through the AFL-CIO Mutual Benefit Plan (“The Plan”). Certain administrative responsibilities for the Plan have been delegated to Union Privilege. Union Privilege is the non-profit organization established to create and oversee member benefit programs for working families. Grants may not be offered in every state.
The Union Plus Credit Cards and Teamster Privilege Credit Cards are issued by Capital One, N.A. pursuant to a license from Mastercard International Incorporated. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.