Frequently Asked Questions from Union Leaders
Did you know your union members are automatically eligible for your union's Union Plus benefits from Union Privilege? Make sure you and your members know about these programs - and start using them today!
About Union Privilege
1. What is Union Privilege? And, what is the difference between Union Plus and Union Privilege?
2. Do union member dues support Union Privilege?
3. How many Union Plus benefits are there and what are they?
7. What makes Union Plus unique?
8. How do your programs help union members?
9. How do Union Plus programs help my union?
10. I've heard that using benefits in organizing campaigns can be effective. How?
11. How does Union Privilege give back to the labor community?
Union Plus Service
Informing Your Members
More Help For Leaders
1. Who is Union Privilege? And, what is the difference between Union Plus and Union Privilege?
No dues money goes into the development or operation of any Union Plus program.
Union Privilege has developed over 25 Union Plus benefits. Each international union decides which benefits it will offer to its membership.
Current and retired union members are automatically eligible for their union's Union Plus benefits.
Family members - including spouses, parents and children - are often eligible for the benefits -- plus some benefits are available in Canada, PR and Guam too. (Due to different laws, some benefits are not available to Canadian, Puerto Rico or Guam residents.)
There is no Union Plus membership. There is no separate sign up and no enrollment fee for the Union Plus programs.
Union Plus benefits are exclusively for union members. Please visit the AFL-CIO Web site for information on how and why people join unions.
7. What makes Union Plus unique?
- Union Privilege is the only consumer benefits organization dedicated to creating programs for union members.
- We report to a board of union officials who guide our direction and oversee our progress.
- We work with worker-friendly companies.
- Our staff is unionized.
We also value social responsibility, including philanthropy and supporting the labor movement.
We offer special assistance to union members who face financial hardship due to a layoff, strike, disability or natural disaster. Union Plus programs are not just about price savings, but also about the extra service and value members and their families receive.
Members could save as much as $4,000 annually!
Union Plus offers members money-saving benefits together with the reassurance that the union is looking out for members' welfare - both on and off the job. Whether you are trying to organize new members, add more members in an open shop or keep members from leaving the union, the Union Plus benefits can help.
Benefits are a great way to attract new members - with proven results. Read how your fellow union leaders are using Union Plus benefits in organizing campaigns and recruiting more members at UnionPlus.org/Organizing. You'll also find materials to download to assist with your next campaign.
Read more about Union Plus social responsibility, including philanthropy and supporting the labor movement.
First, we recommend you contact the Union Plus program provider. Customer service information is available on all the benefits pages. We monitor these calls to ensure our procedures are followed, and our standards are met.
Still need help with resolution of a problem? The Union Plus Member Advocacy Program, staffed by OPEIU Local 2 union members, is here to help you resolve any problems you have with a Union Plus program. Contact us at 1-800-472-2005 (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET, weekdays) or complete the Union Plus Feedback Form.
It's quick and easy. Complete the Union Plus site registration (click here) and you can unsubscribe from Union Plus mailings.
Here are six simple things you can do:
- Most importantly, we'd like YOU to USE the programs. Test them out and let us know what you think.
- Sign up for free e-newsletters at UnionPlus.org/Enews and tell your members to visit the site too. Email is the perfect way to stay informed about all your union's benefits.
- Order free brochures and distribute them to your members at meetings, in new member welcome kits, and in mailings. Place your order at UnionPlusLeaders.org or call 1-800-472-2005 (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET, weekdays).
- Place the two-pocket Union Plus brochure display in a high-traffic union member area such as a lunchroom, union hall or training center. Order your free display (one for each 500 members, please) at UnionPlusLeaders.org or call 1-800-472-2005 (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET, weekdays).
- Post a Union Plus link on your union's home page. Union webmasters tell us that a "Member Discounts & Benefits" section is typically the most popular section on their Web sites.
- If you have a union newsletter or other publication, place an ad or article about the benefits in it. You can find ads and articles at UnionPlusLeaders.org or call us at 1-800-472-2005 (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET, weekdays).
Union Leader Line: Call 1-800-472-2005 or 202-293-5330 in Washington, DC area - 8:30 am - 4:30 pm ET, Monday - Friday.
Website: www.UnionPlusLeaders.org - includes links to free ads, articles, flyers and more.
Address: 1100 1st Street, NE, Suite 850, Washington, DC 20002