Hospital Grants for Union Plus Credit Cardholders
$1,200 payment to Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholders when you meet the requirements below.
- You must be a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder in good standing.
- You must have been a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder for at least three (3) consecutive months at the time of the hospitalization event.
- You must complete the required application and provide documentation to the Plan that you or a member of your household had unreimbursed hospital expenses that:
- Are associated with a hospitalization event(s) that took place during the 24-month period prior to the date that you submit an application for a Hospital Grant, but at least three (3) months after you became a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder; and
- Are the lesser of 10% of your annual income or $2,400.
- You must submit required documentation including:
- Documentation of your annual income by supplying your most recent Form W2, 1099 or pay stubs covering the applicable period.
- You must provide the applicable hospital and insurance statements that document:
- The dates and charges for the hospitalization ("Hospital Charges")
- The amount of the Hospital Charges covered by insurance; and
- The amount of Hospital Charges for which the patient was financially responsible.
- You may only receive three Hospital Grants under the CAP for each Union Plus or Teamster Privilege Credit Card account per your lifetime, but no more than one Hospital Grant per year. If you have multiple Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card accounts, you can only receive one Hospital Grant for any unique hospitalization event.
Eligible Hospital Expenses
- When you calculate your out-of-pocket hospital expenses, you may include the insurance deductibles, any hospital charges, physician charges, medications and other medical expenses incurred during the hospitalization.
- Include only those hospital expenses related to an event resulting in hospitalization that occurred within 24 months prior to your application.
- Do not include expenses that were covered by your (or your spouse/dependent's) health insurance.
- Do not include expenses from care before or after the time of hospitalization.
- Unreimbursed expenses must be the lesser of 10% of your annual income or $2,400.
How to Apply
- Collect and copy the required documentation:
- Documentation for your income (tax return(s) or W-2s for the last year).
- Hospital bills, insurance Explanation of Benefit (EOB) forms. Make sure you have documentation for all periods of hospitalization and explanation of insurance benefits for all coverage you received.
- Complete the online application form (you'll be prompted to create an account, or login to an existing account prior to completing the application).
- Submit your documentation through one of the following channels:
- Upload documents through our website via the My Forms section of your profile (recommended).
- Email your application and documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fax your application and document to our secure fax line at 866-481-5568.
However, if you are unable to use one of those means of getting your application to us, please mail all required documentation to:
Union Plus Hospital Grant
1100 First St. NE, Suite 850
Washington, DC 20002
- Please allow 6-8 weeks for application processing. You will be notified by mail when your application has been approved or denied.
- If approved for the grant, payment will be made by check and mailed directly to you.
- Please do not send originals. Documents will not be returned to you.
- All documents should be copied onto 8.5" x 11" paper.
- Only copy/print one side of paper.
- Please do not use staples or fasteners.
Please note: Failure to comply with these instructions will result in significantly delayed processing time.
Grants valued at $600 or more may be considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service. Therefore, approved recipients receiving grants of $600 or more in a calendar year will receive an IRS Form 1099-MISC in January of the following year. If the documentation you submitted does not contain your social security number, we will contact you to complete an IRS W-9 form. This document must be returned to our office before we will release a grant payment exceeding $600. Please keep your eye on your email inbox for this important request.
These hardship assistance grants are provided and administered through the AFL-CIO Mutual Benefit Plan (“The Plan”). Certain administrative responsibilities for the Plan have been delegated to Union Privilege. Union Privilege is the non-profit organization established to create and oversee member benefit programs for working families. Grants may not be offered in every state.
The Union Plus Credit Cards and Teamster Privilege Credit Cards are issued by Capital One, N.A. pursuant to a license from Mastercard International Incorporated. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.