Hospital Grants for Union Plus Credit Cardholders
$1,200 payment to Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholders when you meet the requirements below.
- You must be a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder in good standing.
- You must have been a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder for at least three (3) consecutive months at the time of the hospitalization event.
- You must complete the required application and provide documentation to the Plan that you or a member of your household had unreimbursed hospital expenses that:
- Are associated with a hospitalization event(s) that took place during the 12-month period prior to the date that you submit an application for a Hospital Grant, but at least three (3) months after you became a Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card cardholder; and
- Are equal to 10% or more of your annual income.
- You must submit required documentation including:
- Documentation of your annual income by supplying your most recent Form W2, 1099 or pay stubs covering the applicable period.
- You must provide the applicable hospital and insurance statements that document:
- The dates and charges for the hospitalization ("Hospital Charges")
- The amount of the Hospital Charges covered by insurance; and
- The amount of Hospital Charges for which the patient was financially responsible.
- You may only receive one Hospital Grant for any one Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card account. If you have multiple Union Plus Credit Card or Teamster Privilege Credit Card accounts, you can only receive one Hospital Grant for any unique hospitalization event.
Eligible Hospital Expenses
- When you calculate your out-of-pocket hospital expenses, you may include the insurance deductibles, any hospital charges, physician charges, medications and other medical expenses incurred during the hospitalization.
- Include only those hospital expenses related to an event resulting in hospitalization that occurred within 12 months prior to your application.
- Do not include expenses that were covered by your (or your spouse/dependent's) health insurance.
- Do not include expenses from care before or after the time of hospitalization.
- Unreimbursed expenses must total at least 10% of your annual income.
How to Apply
- Collect and copy the required documentation:
- Documentation for your income (tax return(s) or W-2s for the last year).
- Hospital bills, insurance Explanation of Benefit (EOB) forms. Make sure you have documentation for all periods of hospitalization and explanation of insurance benefits for all coverage you received.
- Complete the online application form (you'll be prompted to create an account, or login to an existing account prior to completing the application).
- Print your confirmation email and sign anywhere on the page that includes your application information.
- We encourage you to email in your application and documents if you are able to at email@example.com or you may also fax them to our secure fax line at 866-481-5568.
However, if you are unable to use either of those means of getting your application to us, please mail all required documentation to:
Union Plus Hospital Grant
1100 First St. NE, Suite 850
Washington, DC 20002
Please note: Due to the current staffing conditions caused by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, applications mailed to our office may see a significant delay in processing time. For this reason, we strongly encourage the digital submission of paperwork.
- Please allow 6-8 weeks for application processing. You will be notified by mail when your application has been approved or denied.
- If approved for the grant, payment will be made by check and mailed directly to you.
- Please do not send originals. Documents will not be returned to you.
- All documents should be copied onto 8.5" x 11" paper.
- Only copy/print one side of paper.
- Please do not use staples or fasteners.
Please note: Failure to comply with these instructions will result in significantly delayed processing time.
Grants may be considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service. Therefore, a Form 1099-MISC tax reporting form, which will require your social security number, will be issued to each recipient of grants valued at $600 or more. If the required documentation you submitted does not contain this information, we will contact you to complete a W-9 form. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for this important request.
These hardship assistance grants are provided and administered through the AFL-CIO Mutual Benefit Plan (“The Plan”). Certain administrative responsibilities for the Plan have been delegated to Union Privilege. Union Privilege is the non-profit organization established to create and oversee member benefit programs for working families. Grants may not be offered in every state.
The Union Plus Credit Cards and Teamster Privilege Credit Cards are issued by Capital One, N.A. pursuant to a license from Mastercard International Incorporated. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.