Hospital Grant for Mortgage, Supplemental Insurance or Retiree Healthcare Program Participants
- You must be a participant in at least one of the following programs for the amount of time specified below and your account or policy must be in good standing at the time of the hardship:
- Union Plus Mortgage - for at least 12 months
- Union Plus Life or Accident Insurance - for at least 12 months
- Union Plus Retiree Healthcare - for at least 12 months
- You must complete the required application and provide documentation that you or a member of your household had unreimbursed hospital expenses that:
- Are associated with a hospitalization event(s) that took place during the 24 month period prior to the date that you submit an application for a Hospital Grant; and
- Are the lesser of (1) 10% of your annual household income or (2) $2,400.
- You must provide the applicable hospital and insurance statements that document:
- The dates and charges for the hospitalization ("Hospital Charges")
- The amount of the Hospital Charges covered by insurance; and
- The amount of Hospital Charges for which the patient was financially responsible.
- You must provide documentation of your annual household income by supplying your most recent W-2 Forms or pay stubs covering the applicable period.
- You may only receive three Hospital Grants for any one Union Plus Mortgage, Union Plus Life/Accident Insurance or Retiree Healthcare account per your lifetime, but no more than one Hospital Grant per year.
Eligible Hospital Expenses
- When you calculate your out-of-pocket hospital expenses, you may include the insurance deductibles, any hospital charges, physician charges, medications and other medical expenses incurred during the hospitalization.
- Include only those hospital expenses related to an event resulting in hospitalization that occurred within 24 months prior to your application.
- Do not include expenses that were covered by your (or your spouse/dependent's) health insurance.
- Do not include expenses from care before or after the time of hospitalization.
- Unreimbursed expenses must be the lesser of (1) 10% of your annual household income or (2) $2,400.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application form.
- Collect and copy the required documentation:
- If your income was less than $24,000 last year, documentation for your income (tax return(s) or W-2s for the last year).
- Hospital bills, insurance Explanation of Benefit (EOB) forms. Make sure you have documentation for all periods of hospitalization and explanation of insurance benefits for all coverage you received.
- Submit your documents through one of the following channels:
- Upload your documents through our website via the My Forms section of your profile (recommended)
- Email your application and documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fax your application and document to our secure fax line at 866-481-5568.
However, if you are unable to use one of those means of getting your application to us, please mail all required documentation to:
Union Plus Strike Grant
1100 First St. NE, Suite 850
Washington, DC 20002
- Please allow 6-8 weeks for application processing. You will be notified by mail when your application has been approved or denied.
- If approved for the grant, payment will be made by check and mailed directly to you.
- Please do not send originals. Documents will not be returned to you.
- All documents should be copied onto 8.5" x 11" paper.
- Only copy/print one side of paper.
- Please do not use staples or fasteners.
Please note: Failure to comply with these instructions will result in significantly delayed processing time.
Grants valued at $600 or more may be considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service. Therefore, approved recipients receiving grants of $600 or more in a calendar year will receive an IRS Form 1099-MISC in January of the following year. If the documentation you submitted does not contain your social security number, we will contact you to complete an IRS W-9 form. This document must be returned to our office before we will release a grant payment exceeding $600. Please keep your eye on your email inbox for this important request.