Union Plus
Travel Accident Insurance Plan

Get protection when you’re on-the-move 

Union members are people on-the-move. We created the Union Plus Travel Accident Insurance Plan as a safety net to help protect union families from accidents no matter where they are — a quick errand across town, a family vacation, even a business trip in a distant city.

Go to My Account to set up Auto-Pay, make a one-time payment, review important product information and more.

Why you need Travel Accident Insurance 

No matter how safe you try to be or how courteous a driver you are, there are many things beyond your control. This insurance plan can help pay the bills in the event of a covered accident. 

Enroll now

Travel Accident Insurance member coverage 

The Union Plus Travel Accident Insurance Plan efficiently delivers generous benefits for only pennies a day. How is this possible? Because Union Plus avoided expensive "extras" that most people never need. The result is a streamlined program that stands by your family with cash benefits when they need them most. 

Your coverage includes: 

  • An ACCIDENTAL DEATH BENEFIT will be paid if you or your covered dependents sustain an injury that results in death within 365 days of the date of the covered accident. 
  • An OUTPATIENT BENEFIT will be paid when a covered person's injuries from a covered accident require treatment in the outpatient unit of a hospital within 24 hours of the date of the accident. This benefit will be paid up to 2 times a year. 
  • An ACCIDENT HOSPITAL INCOME BENEFIT will be paid to you or anyone you choose if you or your covered dependents are confined in a hospital and the injury is due to a covered accident. You will receive this benefit for each day you are in the hospital. This benefit is payable for up to 365 days of hospitalization. The confinement must start within 90 days from the date of the covered accident. 
  • Also included is a RECUPERATION BENEFIT that will pay you or anyone you choose while you or your covered dependents recuperate at home. This important benefit will pay for the same number of days that you or your covered dependent were confined in a hospital under the Hospital Income Benefit. 
Enroll now

Union Plus Travel Accident benefits stand by you 

Enroll in your Union Plus Travel Accident benefits today. You'll lock in generous benefits - Up to $50,000.00 if you fall victim to a fatal travel accident PLUS up to $500.00 a day if a travel accident lands you in the hospital - at the group rate of $60.00 for member only and $94.50 semi-annually to include your family. 

Here's what you get: 

  • Hospital Care Benefit: You can collect up to $182,500 annually (12 months) for hospital care. That's $500 for each day you're confined in the hospital due to a covered accident. 
  • Recuperation Benefit: You can collect up to $182,500 annually (12 months) for recuperation. That's $500 each day for recuperation (you will be paid for the same number of days that your Hospital Care Benefit is paid). 
  • Outpatient Care Benefit: You can collect up to $500 annually (12 months) for outpatient care. That's up to $250 per visit for outpatient care (payable up to two times per year). 
  • Loss of Life Benefit: You can receive up to $50,000 in loss of life benefits for a covered accidental death. 

Acceptance GUARANTEED – You Cannot Be Turned Down 

This plan is GUARANTEED ACCEPTANCE. You cannot be turned down. There is NO MEDICAL EXAM. There are NO HEALTH QUESTIONS. This value-packed accident insurance plan was designed exclusively and specifically for union members and their families. 

Travel Accident Insurance Rates 

Choose your coverage and benefit level: 

Benefit Levels $50,000 $40,000 $30,000
Hospitalization (per day) $500 $400 $300
Recuperation (per day) $500 $400 $300
Outpatient (2x per year) $250 $200 $150
Loss of Life $50,000 $40,000 $30,000
Member Only Coverage Semiannual Premiums $60 $48 $36
Family Coverage Semiannual Premiums $94.50 $75.60 $56.70

You will be billed semi-annually for your convenience. Rates and/or benefits may be changed only on a class basis. 

Accident Form Series includes GBD-1000, GBD-1300, or state equivalent. 

Ready to save?

Union Plus Travel Accident Insurance helps you pay the bills if you have an accident when you’re on the move.

Enroll now


Your questions, answered. 

Need Help?

Speak to a Union Plus Insurance Representative at 800-393-0864 (8 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET, weekdays). 

You may also contact the Union Plus Member Advocate, an OPEIU Local 2 member, at 800-472-2005 (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET, weekdays). 


Medicare Replacement Notice
(Please read and print for your records) 

Acceptance is guaranteed 

There is no physical examination to take or health questions to answer. As a union member, at least age 18, residing in the U.S., you cannot be turned down for this plan - regardless of your health, occupation, or the number of miles you travel annually. 

You cannot be singled out for cancellation or a rate increase, regardless of the number of claims you make, your age, or changes in your health. 

Accidents are unpredictable, so request your Union Plus Travel Accident Plan protection today. Your coverage goes into effect on the first of the month following receipt of the enrollment form and your first semi-annual payment. Once activated, coverage is effective as long as the Master Policy remains in force and you pay your premium when due. 


Your coverage can not be cancelled by us as long as you remain a U.S. resident, pay your premium when due and the Master Policy remains in force. Dependent coverage terminates the date the policy is terminated; and the premium due date on or next following the date that your dependent no longer meets the definition of dependent child; your spouse no longer meets definition of spouse; or the required premium is not paid, subject to the Individual Grace Period; or the date your coverage terminates. 


All union members that are at least 18 years old and citizens or legal residents of the U.S. are eligible for coverage. Your Spouse/Domestic Partner can also be covered under this policy as long as he or she is at least 18 years old, a citizen or legal resident of the U.S., and not legally separated or divorced from you. Your dependent children must be at least 15 days old but under 22 (under 26 if in full-time attendance at an accredited institution of learning). When both Spouse/Domestic Partners are eligible members, each may apply as ‘member’; however, coverage may not be duplicated by applying as dependents of the other. Children can only be covered by one Spouse/Domestic Partner.

When you choose family coverage, your spouse/domestic partner is covered for 50% of the amount of your coverage if there are eligible children also covered; or 60% if you have no covered eligible children. In addition each child has 20% of the amount of your coverage if you have a spouse/domestic partner, or 40% if there is not a spouse/domestic partner covered. 


Exclusions: The Policy does not cover any loss caused or contributed to by: 

  1. self-inflicted Injury; 

  2. suicide or attempted suicide, whether sane or insane; 

  3. war or act of war, whether declared or not; 

  4. Injury sustained while On any aircraft except a Civil or Public Aircraft, or Military Transport Aircraft; 

  5. Injury sustained while On any aircraft being used for tests, experimental purposes, stunt flying, racing or endurance tests; 

  6. Injury sustained while taking drugs, including but not limited to sedatives, narcotics, barbiturates, amphetamines, or hallucinogens unless as prescribed by or administered by a Physician; 

  7. Injury sustained while riding or driving in a scheduled race or testing any Motor Vehicle on tracks, speedways or proving grounds; 

  8. Injury sustained while committing or attempting to commit a felony; or 

  9. Injury sustained while Intoxicated. 

Intoxicated means: 

  1. the blood alcohol content;  

  2. the results of other means of testing blood alcohol level; or 

  3. the results of other means of testing other substances;  that meet or exceed the legal presumption of intoxication, or under the influence, under the law of the state where the accident occurred. 

This policy provides ACCIDENT insurance only. It does NOT provide basic hospital, basic medical or major medical insurance as defined by the New York State Department of Financial Services. IMPORTANT NOTICE - THIS POLICY DOES NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR SICKNESS. 


Injury means a bodily injury resulting directly from an accident and independently of all other causes. 

Hospital does not mean a nursing home, convalescent home, skilled nursing facility, a place for rest or custodial care or for the aged, a clinic, or a place of treatment of mental illness, alcoholism or substance abuse. 

Coverage is only available to residents of the U.S. 

Underwritten by Hartford Life and Accident Insurance Company, Hartford CT 06155.

The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. (NYSE: HIG) operates through its subsidiaries under the brand name, The Hartford, and is headquartered in Hartford, Connecticut. For additional details, please read The Hartford’s legal notice at www.thehartford.com.

Gallagher Affinity Insurance Services, Inc. administers the insurance on behalf of Hartford Life and Accident Insurance Company. Union Privilege, Inc. is the broker of record and is compensated for the placement of insurance. This is a participating group policy under which experience credits may be paid to AFL-CIO Mutual Benefit Fund.

Amy Cybyske, Licensed in all applicable jurisdictions.

This web site explains the general purpose of the insurance described, but in no way changes or affects the Master Policy (ADD·13273) as actually issued. In the event of a discrepancy between this web site and the policy, the terms of the policy apply. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of the policy. Policies underwritten by Hartford Life and Accident Insurance Company detail exclusions, limitations, and terms under which the policies may be continued in full or discontinued. Complete details are in the Certificate of Insurance issued to each insured individual and the Master Policy issued to the policyholder. Benefits may vary and this program may not be available to residents of all states or in all unions. 

Accident Form Series includes GBD-1000, GBD-1300, or state equivalent.