Celebrate a Union-Made Labor Day at Home!
We're still social distancing to stay safe, but we're definitely still celebrating Labor Day! So, throw on your red, white, and blue and get ready to celebrate like it’s the last holiday of the summer (because it is). From our favorite movies to delicious union-made grilling recipes, we have what you need to make your Labor Day weekend safe, celebratory, and fun at home.
Stream movies to honor Labor Day
Honor the labor movement and the achievements of American workers by watching films and documentaries that celebrate their strength and sacrifice for our country.
Here's a shortlist of our favorites, but there are plenty of amazing films that celebrate the labor movement and American workers. Watch with the family or use Netflix Party to watch at the same time as your friends in different locations.
|Boxcar Bertha||Norma Rae|
|Bread and Roses||North Country|
|F.I.S.T.||On the Waterfront|
|Germinal||Roger & Me|
|Glengarry Glen Ross||Silkwood|
|Gung Ho||Sometimes a Great Nation|
|Hoffa||Still the Enemy Within|
|Made in Dagenham||The Grapes of Wrath|
Union-made grilling recipes
Having a BBQ doesn’t mean just hamburgers and hot dogs! Give the classics a rest and try something new, like flavorful grilled chicken. Use these brands of union-packaged chicken to make the delicious marinated chicken thigh recipe below from Food Network (don’t forget to add the pink peppercorns for that nice, spicy kick!
Union-packaged, fresh chicken
|Draper Valley||Maple Leaf Farms|
|Earth’s Best||Park Farms|
|Empire Kosher||Sanderson Farms|
|Healthy Choice||Valley Fresh|
|Holly Farms||Wayne Farms|
Marinated Chicken Thighs
- 2 cups fresh parsley leaves, chopped (Muranaka Farms)
- 8 large sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 large sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 2 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns (Watkins)
- 2 tablespoons cracked pink peppercorns (Watkins)
- 1 1/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 skin-on chicken thighs
- Flaky salt (Colonial, Diamond Crystal, Monarch, Morton, Nifda, Red & White, Sterling, Sysco)
Mix the parsley, thyme, rosemary, garlic, shallots, black peppercorns and pink peppercorns together in a bowl. Add the olive oil to cover the herbs/spices. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the marinade. Place the chicken thighs in a resealable plastic bag. Add the marinade and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
Preheat the grill to medium. Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade, pat with a paper towel and place, fleshy-side down, on the hot grill. Grill until cooked through, turning once, 7 to 8 minutes per side. Finish with the reserved 2 tablespoons of marinade and some flaky salt. Serve on top of your favorite salad.
Veggie Pasta Salad
Try this easy pasta salad recipe from Food Network. It’s full of flavor, packed with vegetables and it’s vegetarian friendly.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (Colonial, Diamond Crystal, Monarch, Morton, Nifda, Red & White, Sterling, Sysco)
- 1 pound cavatappi or other short curly pasta shape (American Beauty, Chef Boyaedee products, Light N' Fluffy, Ronzoni, Royal Brand, San Giorgio, Skinner, Turris Italian Foods, Vince & Son's)
- 2 medium cucumbers, sliced thin and quartered
- 4 cups broccoli florets (Andy Boy)
- 6 ounces cherry tomatoes, quartered (Sunripe, Gargiulo, San Joaquin Tomato, Pacific Triple E)
- One 16-ounce jar sliced roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan (Hiland Dairy, Kraft Foods, Horizon)
- 1 1/2 cups Italian dressing
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions for al dente. Add the cucumbers, broccoli, tomatoes, red peppers, parmesan, pasta, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper to a large bowl. Pour the Italian dressing over the top and toss until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until the pasta is cold, about 2 hours and up to overnight.
Wash it down!
Cool down by the grill with these refreshing union-made beers and sodas.
|Bass Pale Ale||Miller Genuine Draft|
|Bud and Bud Light||Sam Adams|
|Coors Light||Barq’s Root Beer|
|Killian’s Irish Red||Coca-Cola|
|Landshark Lager||Dr Pepper|
|Mad River Brewing Jamaican Red Ale||Pepsi|
Union-made BBQ supplies
Make sure you have all the essentials for your BBQ party! Check out this list of union-made BBQ supplies.
|Durex Maverick Barbeque Tools||Solo cups, plates, and bowls|
|Igloo Cooler||Thermador Grills|
|Rubbermaid coolers||Weber Grills (Genesis, Summit and Q Series)|
This information comes from the IBEW, Local One, and Directory for Union-Made Goods and Services.